The Latino education crisis : the consequences of failed social policies
- Gandara, Patricia C.
- Cambridge, Mass. : Harvard University Press, 2009.
- Physical description
- 415 p. : ill. ; 25 cm.
LC2669 .G36 2009
LC2669 .G36 2009
- Unknown LC2669 .G36 2009
- Contreras, Frances, 1972-
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 373-403) and index.
- The crisis and the context
- On being Latino or Latina in America
- American schools and the Latino student experience
- Is language the problem?
- Inside the lives of Puente students
- Beating the odds and going to college
- The costs and effectiveness of intervention
- Rescatando sueños--rescuing dreams.
- Publisher's Summary
- Will the United States have an educational caste system in 2030? Drawing on both extensive demographic data and compelling case studies, this powerful book reveals the depths of the educational crisis looming for Latino students, the nation's largest and most rapidly growing minority group.Richly informative and accessibly written, "The Latino Education Crisis" describes the cumulative disadvantages faced by too many children in the complex American school systems, where one in five students is Latino. Many live in poor and dangerous neighborhoods, attend impoverished and underachieving schools, and are raised by parents who speak little English and are the least educated of any ethnic group.The effects for the families, the community, and the nation are sobering. Latino children are behind on academic measures by the time they enter kindergarten. And while immigrant drive propels some to success, most never catch up. Many drop out of high school and those who do go on to college - often ill prepared and overworked - seldom finish.Revealing and disturbing, "The Latino Education Crisis" is a call to action and will be essential reading for everyone involved in planning the future of American schools.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Patricia Gándara, Frances Contreras.
- 9780674031272 (hbk. : alk. paper)
- 067403127X (hbk. : alk. paper)
- 9780674047051 (pbk.)
- 0674047052 (pbk.)