The dominant animal : human evolution and the environment
- Ehrlich, Paul R.
- Washington, DC : Island Press/Shearwater Books, c2008.
- Physical description
- 428 p. : ill. ; 25 cm.
- Ehrlich, Anne H.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 381-402) and index.
- Publisher's Summary
- In humanity's more than 100,000 year history, we have evolved from vulnerable creatures clawing sustenance from Earth to a sophisticated global society manipulating every inch of it. In short, we have become the dominant animal. Why, then, are we creating a world that threatens our own species? What can we do to change the current trajectory toward more climate change, increased famine, and epidemic disease? Renowned scientists Paul R. Ehrlich and Anne H. Ehrlich believe that intelligently addressing those questions depends on a clear understanding of how we evolved and how and why were changing the planet in ways that darken our descendants' future. "The Dominant Animal" arms readers with that knowledge, tracing the interplay between environmental change and genetic and cultural evolution since the dawn of humanity. In lucid and engaging prose, they describe how Homo sapiens adapted to their surroundings, eventually developing the vibrant cultures, vast scientific knowledge, and technological wizardry we know today. This classroom edition includes: updated and expanded set of suggested readings; glossary, key terms and concepts; selected, Annotated Bibliography that includes recent important works; and, Comprehensive Web site with ancillary materials such as: classroom relevant articles, study questions, discussion questions, instructor's guide, and author PowerPoint slides.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Supplemental links
Contributor biographical information
- Publication date
- Paul R. Ehrlich and Anne H. Ehrlich.
- Shearwater Books is a trademark of The Center for Resource Economics"--T.p. verso.
- Biology Library copy 1: Stephen H. Schneider Library. Autographed by author.
- 9781597260961 (hbk. : alk. paper)
- 1597260967 (hbk. : alk. paper)
- 9781597260978 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 1597260975 (pbk. : alk. paper)