Community literacy and the rhetoric of public engagement
- Linda Flower.
- Carbondale : Southern Illinois University Press, c2008.
- Physical description
- ix, 281 p. : ill. ; 23 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LC149 .F56 2008||Unknown|
- Flower, Linda.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 261-274) and index.
- Publisher's Summary
- This book presents a comprehensive literate action."Community Literacy and the Rhetoric of Public Engagement" explores the critical practice of intercultural inquiry and rhetorical problem-solving that encourages urban writers and college mentors alike to take literate action. Author Linda Flower documents an innovative experiment in community literacy, the Community Literacy Center in Pittsburgh, and posits a powerful and distinctively rhetorical model of community engagement and pedagogy for both marginalized and privileged writers and speakers. In addition, she articulates a theory of local publics and explores the transformative potential of alternative discourses and counter-public performances.In presenting a comprehensive pedagogy for literate action, the volume offers strategies for talking and collaborating across difference, for conducting an intercultural inquiry that draws out situated knowledge and rival interpretations of shared problems, and for writing and speaking to advocate for personal and public transformation.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780809328529 20160528
- Supplemental links
Contributor biographical information
- Literacy > Social aspects > Case studies.
- Literacy > Social aspects > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh.
- Literacy programs > Case studies.
- Literacy programs > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh.
- Intercultural communication > Case studies.
- Intercultural communication > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh.
- English language > Rhetoric > Study and teaching > Case studies.
- English language > Rhetoric > Study and teaching > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh.
- Publication date
- 9780809328529 (paper)
- 0809328526 (paper)
Acquired with support from
Browse related items
Start at call number: