Comparative health policy in the Asia-Pacific
- edited by Robin Gauld.
- Maidenhead, Berkshire : Open University Press, 2005.
- Physical description
- x, 257 p. : ill.
- State of health series.
- Gauld, Robin.
- Includes bibliographical references and indexes.
- Publisher's Summary
- Comparative health policy in the Asia-Pacific contains a range of information from countries around the region, and analyses various factors that differ between them. Key issues the book probes include: the different ways health care is financed and delivered across the region; how and why health status differs between and within countries; what the major impacts on health status are and what is being done about these; the historical and institutional arrangements that have impacted on health policy and health care; how policy is made and implemented; how policymakers and service providers deal with unlimited demand and limited funding and issues such as service coverage and quality; how pharmaceuticals and population health strategies are managed; what the role of the state and various other players (i.e. the private sector and international agencies) is in the making of health policy and delivery of health care; and, the challenges that lay ahead for health care in the region.Contributors include: Stephen Duckett, Professor of Health Policy and Dean of the Faculty of Health Sciences at La Trobe University; Gerald Bloom, Fellow of the Institute of Development Studies at the University of Sussex; Robin Gauld, Senior Lecturer in Health Policy in the Department of Preventive and Social Medicine, University of Otago; Naoki Ikegami , Professor and Chair of the Department of Health Policy and Management at the Keio School of Medicine; Soonman Kwon, Associate Professor of Health Policy and Management at the School of Public Health, Seoul National University, South Korea; Tung-Liang Chiang, Professor of Health Policy at the College of Public Health, National Taiwan University; Michael Barr, Australian Research Council Postdoctoral Research Fellow in the School of History, Philosophy, Religion and Classics at The University of Queensland, Brisbane; and, Derek Gould, Honorary Assistant Professor at the University of Hong Kong's Department of Community Medicine.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Health Policy > Australasia.
- Health Policy > Far East.
- Cross-Cultural Comparison > Australasia.
- Cross-Cultural Comparison > Far East.
- Delivery of Health Care > Australasia.
- Delivery of Health Care > Far East.
- Financing, Organized > Australasia.
- Financing, Organized > Far East.
- Medical policy > Pacific Area.
- Publication date
- State of health series
- 0335214347 (hb.)
- 9780335214341 (hb.)
- 0335214339 (pbk.)
- 9780335214334 (pbk.)