Consolidating developmental local government : lessons from the South African experience
- editors: Mirjam van Donk ... [et al.].
- Cape Town, South Africa : UCT Press, 2008.
- Physical description
- xi, 568 p. : ill., map ; 25 cm.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- DEVELOPMENTAL LOCAL GOVERNMENT IN COMPARATIVE CONTEXT -- Continuities and discontinuities in South African local government-- Developmental local government: Squaring the circle between policy intent and impact-- Local governance and the politics of sustainability-- From spheres to tiers: Conceptions of local government in South Africa in the period 1994-2006-- Rural local governance-- Local democracy and development in comparative perspective. II. STRATEGIC PRIORITIES OF DEVELOPMENTAL LOCAL GOVERNMENT -- The emergence and endurance of an evolving human settlements imaginary-- Reframing urban passenger transport as a strategic priority for developmental local government-- Social development: And imperative for local government-- The implications of HIV/AIDS for local governance and sustainable municipal service delivery-- Institutional arrangements for local economic development implementation in South Africa-- Key themes and trends in municipal finance in South Africa. III. TOOLS AND REGULATORY INSTRUMENTS OF DEVELOPMENTAL LOCAL GOVERNMENT -- The origins and outcomes of South Africa's Integrated Development Plans-- Intergovernmental delivery in municipal areas: Reflections on current practice-- Tools and trade-offs in environmental decision-making-- Local government planning legal frameworks and regulatory tools: vital signs?-- Urban land use regulation in the context of developmental local government-- Municipal entities: A panacea for service delivery constraints?-- The distribution of power: Local government and electricity distribution industry reforms. IV. INSTITUTIONAL MODELS OF DEVELOPMENTAL LOCAL GOVERNMENT -- Political systems and capacity issues-- Participatory mechanisms and community politics: Building consensus and conflict-- Beyond Cooption and Protest: Reflections on the FEDUP Alternative-- A case study of community participation in governance and service delivery in the City of Johannesburg-- Democratisation with inclusion: Revisiting the role of ward committees-- Rolling back the spatial barriers to socio-economic development: Experiences from the demarcation of district and local municipalities-- Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9781919895048 20160528
- Publisher's Summary
- This book documents the dynamics of local government transformation and captures the key themes of the debates about policy options, lessons and key strategic decisions. These debates are aimed at ensuring that municipalities play a key role in creating more democratic, non-racial, equitable and sustainable communities, towns and cities. Compiled and written by people who participated in one way or another in the experience of democratic consolidation, this text will be an indispensable resource for government officials, students, researchers, specialists, community leaders, businesses and the general reader. Critical questions are raised throughout the book about the kinds of challenges that all those involved with the future of local governance will face in the years ahead.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781919895048 20160528
- Publication date
- "An Isandla Institute book project."
- 9781919895048 (pbk.)
- 1919895043 (pbk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: