Die Fälscher [videorecording]
- in Koproduktion mit Studio Babelsberg Motion Pictures/Babelsberg Film und ZDF ; eine Production von Aichholzer Filmproduktion and Magnolia Filmproduktion ; ein Film von Stefen Ruzowitzky ; Buch, Stefan Ruzowitzky ; produzenten, Josef Aichholzer, Nina Bohlmann, Babette Schröder ; Regie, Stefan Ruzowitzky.
- German, English, French, Hebrew, Russian. German, English, Hebrew, Russian or dubbed French dialogue, English, French or Spanish subtitles; closed-captioned.
- Culver City, Calif. : Sony Pictures Home Entertainment, 
- Physical description
- 1 videodisc (99 min.) : sd., col. ; 4 3/4 in.
- Aichholzer, Josef.
- Bohlmann, Nina.
- Schröder, Babette.
- Ruzowitzky, Stefan.
- Markovics, Karl.
- Diehl, August, 1976-
- Striesow, Devid, 1973-
- Bäumer, Marie, 1969-
- Brambach, Martin.
- Chaplin, Dolores.
- Sony Pictures Classics (Firm)
- Aichholzer Filmproduktion.
- Magnolia Filmproduktion (Firm)
- Studio Babelsberg.
- Babelsberg International Filmproduktion.
- Zweites Deutsches Fernsehen.
- Sony Pictures Home Entertainment (Firm)
- Germany, 1936. Salomon "Sally" Sorowitsch is the king of counterfeiters. He lives a life of cards, booze, and women. Suddenly his luck runs dry when he is arrested by Superintendent Friedrich Herzog. He is immediately thrown into the Mauthausen concentration camp. There, Salomon exhibits exceptional skills and is soon transferred to the upgraded camp of Sachsenhausen. Upon his arrival, he once again comes face to face with Herzog, who is there on a secret mission. Hand-picked for his unique skill, Salomon and a group of professionals are forced to produce fake foreign currency under the program Operation Berhard. The team, which also includes detainee Adolf Burger, is given luxury barracks for their assistance. Salomon attempts to weaken the economy of Germany's opponents. But, Adolf refuses to use his skills for Nazi profit and would like to do something to stop the operation. Now faced with a moral dilemma, Salomon must decide whether his actions are ultimately the right ones.
- World War, 1939-1945 > Counterfeit money > Germany > Drama.
- Counterfeiters > Germany > Drama.
- Jewish men > Germany > Drama.
- Holocaust, Jewish (1939-1945) > Germany > Drama.
- Forced labor > Germany > History > 20th century > Drama.
- Mauthausen (Concentration camp) > Drama.
- Sachsenhausen (Concentration camp) > Drama.
- Publication date
- Title Variation
- English title: Counterfeiters
- Based on the book "The devil's workshop" by Adolf Burger.
- Originally produced as a motion picture in 2006.
- A foreign film (Austria and Germany).
- Special features include commentary with director Stefan Ruzowitzky; the making of The counterfeiters; interviews; Adolf Burger's artifacts; Q&A with director Stefan Ruzowitzky; deleted scenes; original theatrical trailer; previews.
- Production Credits
- Director of photography, Benedict Neuenfels; editor, Britta Nahler; composer, Marius Ruhland; costume designer, Nicole Fischnaller; production designer, Isidor Wimmer.
- Karl Markovics, August Diehl, Devid Striesow, Marie Bäumer, Martin Brambach, Dolores Chaplin.
- MPAA rating: R; for some strong violence, brief sexuality/nudity and language.
- DVD, region 1, widescreen (1.85:1) presentation; Dolby Digital.
- Academy Awards, USA, 2008: Oscar - Best Foreign Language Film of the Year. German Film Awards, 2007: Film Award in Gold - Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role (Devid Striesow)
- Related Work
- Burger, Adolf, 1917-2016 Teufels Werkstatt.
- Publisher Number
- 23920 Sony Pictures Home Entertainment
Browse related items
Start at call number: