Handbook of public communication of science and technology
- edited by Massimiano Bucchi, Brian Trench.
- London ; New York : Routledge, 2008.
- Physical description
- xiii, 263 p. ; 26 cm.
- Routledge international handbooks.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Scientific and Technical Communication Collier, J.H. (ed.), (Sage, 1997) - a practical guide to reading and writing texts about science and technology The MIT Guide to Science and Engineering Communication Paradis, J. and Zimmermann, M., (1997, second Edition 2002) Selling Science -- How the Press Covers Science and Technology Nelkin D. (1995) (Freeman, 2nd edition) - for a long time the standard monograph in this field, although pre-eminently focused on the coverage of science by the media Science in Public Miller, S. and Gregory, J., (Plenum, 1998) - a critical historical and contemporary outline of the dynamics of science in public Science and the Media Bucchi M (Routledge, 1998) - a research monograph, reappraising the role of public communication of science in relation to core scientific activity.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- Comprehensive yet accessible, this key "Handbook" provides an up-to-date overview of the fast growing and increasingly important area of 'public communication of science and technology', from both research and practical perspectives. As well as introducing the main issues, arenas and professional perspectives involved, it presents the findings of earlier research and the conclusions previously drawn. Unlike most existing books on this topic, this unique volume couples an overview of the practical problems faced by practitioners with a thorough review of relevant literature and research.The practical handbook format ensures it is a student-friendly resource, but its breadth of scope and impressive contributors means that it is also ideal for practitioners and professionals working in the field. Combining the contributions of different disciplines (media and journalism studies, sociology and history of science), the perspectives of different geographical and cultural contexts, and by selecting key contributions from appropriate and well-respected authors, this original text provides an interdisciplinary as well as a global approach to public communication of science and technology.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Routledge international handbooks
- 9780415386173 (hbk.)
- 0415386179 (hbk.)
- 9780203928240 (ebk.)
- 0203928245 (ebk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: