Quantum mechanics : including a CD-ROM by Manuel Joffre
- Jean-Louis Basdevant, Jean Dalibard.
- Corrected [ed.]
- Berlin ; New York : Springer, 2005.
- Physical description
- xxii, 511 p. : ill. ; 24 cm. + 1 CD-ROM (4 3/4 in.)
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Quantum Phenomena.- The Wave Function.- Physical Quantities and Measurements.- Quantization of Energy in simple Systems.- Principles of Quantum Mechanics.- Two-state Systems.- Commutation of Observables.- The Stern-Gerlach Experiment of Approximation Methods.- Angular Momentum.- First Description of Atoms.- Spin 1/2 and Magnetic Resonance.- Addition of Angular Momenta.- Entangled States, EPR Paradox.- Lagrangian and Hamiltonian.- Identical Particles.- The Evolution of Systems.- Scattering Processes.- Qualitative Physics at a Macroscopic Scale.- The First Steps of Quantum Mechanics.- Appendices.- Solutions to Exercises.CD-ROM: Wave Mechanics.- Quantization in One Dimension.- Quantum Superposition in One Dimension.- Quantum Superposition in Two Dimensions.- Quantization in Three Dimensions.- Spin 1/2.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9783540277064 20160528
- Publisher's Summary
- This course on quantum mechanics offers a fresh and modern approach to the field. It is a textbook on the principles of the theory, its mathematical framework and its first applications. It consistently refers to modern and practical developments, such as tunneling microscopy, quantum information, Bell inequalities, quantum cryptography, Bose-Einstein condensation and quantum astrophysics. The book contains 92 exercises with their solutions. The CD-ROM contains outstanding and "easy access" Java-based simulations, which illustratively help the user to better understand how the theory actually operates. It also contains a variety of links where one can discover updated applications and further readings. A complementary book "The Quantum Mechanics Solver" guides students to applying the theory developed here to research problems in atomic and molecular physics, condensed matter and laser physics.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9783540277064 20160528
- Supplemental links
Table of contents only
- Publication date
- Accompanying CD-ROM contains examples, applications, and web links.
- "Corrected second printing 2005"--T.p. verso.
- System requirements for CD-ROM: PC: Windows 95 or higher; sound card; Microsoft Internet Explorer; JAVA enabled. Macintosh: Mac OS 9 or higher; sound card; Microsoft Internet Explorer; JAVA enabled; QuickTime.
Browse related items
Start at call number: