Reviews of nonlinear dynamics and complexity
- edited by Heinz Georg Schuster.
- Weinheim : Wiley-VCH, c2008-
- Physical description
- v. : ill. ; 25 cm.
- Schuster, Heinz Georg, 1943-
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Preface. List of Contributors. 1. Nonlinear Dynamics of Nanomechanical and Micromechanical Resonators (Ron Lifshitz and M.C. Cross). 1.1. Nonlinearities in NEMS and MEMS Resonators. 1.2. the Directly-driven Damped Duffing Resonator. 1.3. Parametric Excitation of a Damped Duffing Resonator. 1.4 Parametric Excitation of Arrays of Coupled Duffing Resonators. 1.5. Amplitude Equation Description for Large Arrays. 2. Delay Stabilization of Rotating Waves Without Odd Number Limitation (Bernold Fiedler, Valentin Flunkert, Marc Georgi, Philipp Hovel, and Eckehard Scholl). 2.1. Introduction. 2.2. Mechanism of Stabilization. 2.3. S1-Symmetry and Stability of Rotating Waves. 2.4. Conditions on the Feedback Gain. 2.5. Tori. 2.6. Conclusion. 3. Random Boolean Networks (Barbara Drossel). 3.1. Introduction. 3.2. Model. 3.3. Annealed Approximation and Phase Diagrams. 3.4 Networks with K=1. 3.5. Critical Networks with K=2. 3.6. Networks with Larger K. 3.7.Outlook. 4. Return Intervals and Extreme Events in Persistent Time Series with Applications to Climate and Seismic Records (Armin Bunde, Jan F. Eichner, Shlomo Havlin, Jan W. Kantelhardt, and Sabine Lennartz). 4.1. Introduction. 4.2. Statistics of Return Intervals. 4.3. Statistics of Maxima. 4.4. Long-Term Memory in Earthquakes. 4.5. Conclusions. 5. Factorizable Language: From Dynamics to Biology (Bailin Hao and Huimin Xie). 5.1. Coarse-Graining and Symbolic Description. 5.2. A Brief Introduction to Language Theory. 5.3. Symbolic Dynamics. 5.4. Sequences Generated from Cellular Automata. 5.5. Avoidance Signature of Bacterial Complete Genomes. 5.6. Decomposition and Reconstruction of Protein Sequences. 6. Controlling Collective Synchrony by Feedback (Michael Rosenblum and Arkady Pikovsky). 6.1. What is Collective Synchrony? 6.2. Why to Control? 6.3. Controlling Neural Synchrony. 6.4. Delayed Feedback Control. 6.5. Suppression with a Non-delayed Feedback Loop. 6.6. Determination of Stimulation Parameters by a Test Stimulation. 6.7. Discussion and Outlook. Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9783527407293 20160528
- Preface. List of Contributors. 1 Human Mobility and Spatial Disease Dynamics (Dirk Brockmann). 1.1 Introduction and Motivation. 1.2 Quantitative Assessments of Human Mobility. 1.3 Statistical Properties and Scaling Laws in Multi-ScaleMobility Networks. 1.4 Spatially Extended Epidemic Models. 1.5 Spatial Models. 2 Stochastic Evolutionary Game Dynamics (Arne Traulsen and Christoph Hauert). 2.1 Game Theory and Evolution. 2.2 The Replicator Dynamics. 2.3 Evolutionary Games in Finite Populations. 2.4 From Finite to Infinite Populations (and Back Again). 2.5 Applications. 2.5.1 The Prisoner's Dilemma. 2.6 Concluding Remarks. References. 3 Dynamic and Topological Interplay in Adaptive Networks (Bernd Blasius and Thilo Gross). 3.1 Introduction. 3.2 Adaptive Networks: A Definition. 3.3 Ubiquity of Adaptive Networks Across Disciplines. 3.4 Robust Self-Organization Toward Criticality in Boolean Networks. 3.5 Adaptive Connection Weights in Coupled Oscillator Networks. 3.6 Cooperation in Games on Adaptive Networks. 3.7 Dynamics and Phase Transitions in Opinion Formation and Epidemics. 3.8 Summary, Synthesis and Outlook. References. 4 Fractal Models of Earthquake Dynamics (Pathikrit Bhattacharya, Bikas K. Chakrabarti, Kamal, and Debashis Samanta). 4.1 Introduction. 4.2 Two-Fractal Overlap Model. 4.3 Comparison with Observations. 4.4 Fiber Bundle Model of Earthquakes. 4.5 Summary and Discussion. C.1 Random Cantor Sets. C.2 Regular Sierpinski Gaskets. C.3 Random Sierpinski Gaskets. C.4 Percolating Clusters in a Square Lattice. References. 5 Epilepsy (Klaus Lehnertz, Stephan Bialonski, Marie-Therese Horstmann, Dieter Krug, Alexander Rothkegel, Matthaus Staniek, and Tobias Wagner). 5.1 Introduction. 5.2 Computational Models in Epilepsy Research. 5.3 Measuring Interactions in Epileptic Networks. 5.4 Conclusion. References. 6 Structure in Networks (Jorg Reichardt and Stefan Bornholdt). 6.1 Introduction. 6.2 Multivariate Data Versus Relational Data. 6.3 A New Quality Function for Structure Recognition in Networks. 6.4 Clusters, Modularity and Graph Partitioning. 6.5 Modularity of Random Networks: Replica Method. 6.6 Modularity of Random Networks: Cavity Method. 6.7 Conclusion. References. Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9783527408504 20160528
- Publisher's Summary
- Adopting a cross-disciplinary approach, the review character of this monograph sets it apart from specialized journals. The editor is advised by a first-class board of international scientists, such that the carefully selected and invited contributions represent the latest and most relevant findings. The resulting review enables both researchers and newcomers in life science, physics, and chemistry to access the most important results in this field, using a common language. Volume I covers the following topics: Nonlinear Dynamics Nanomechanical and Micromechanical Resonators; Delay Stabilization of Rotating Waves Without Odd Number Limitation; Random Boolean Networks; Return Intervals and Extreme Events in Persistent Time Series with Applications to Climate and Seismic Records; Factorizable Language: From Dynamics to Biology; and, Controlling Collective Synchrony by Feedback.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9783527407293 20160528
- Adopting a cross-disciplinary approach, the review character of this monograph sets it apart from specialized journals. The editor is advised by a first-class board of international scientists, such that the carefully selected and invited contributions represent the latest and most relevant findings. The resulting review uses a common language and enables both researchers and newcomers in both natural and social science as well as engineering to access the most important results on the following topics: epidemic dynamics on adaptive networks; forecast and control of epidemics; community detection in networks; control of excitable media; caustics; evolution of cooperation; and econophysics.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9783527408504 20160528
- Beginning date
- 3527407294 (v. 1)
- 3527409459 (v. 3 : cloth)
- 9783527407293 (v. 1)
- 9783527408504 (v. 2)
- 9783527409457 (v. 3)
- 9783527408504 (v. 2)
- 3527408509 (v. 2)
Browse related items
Start at call number: