Measuring metabolic rates : a manual for scientists
- John R.B. Lighton.
- Oxford ; New York : Oxford University Press, 2008.
- Physical description
- xiii, 201 p. : ill. ; 25 cm.
- Lighton, John R. B.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 193-196) and index.
- Chapter 1 A Brief History of Metabolic Measurement-- Chapter 2 Constant Volume and Constant Pressure Respirometry-- Chapter 3 Coulometric Respirometry-- Chapter 4 Constant Volume Techniques Using Gas Analysis-- Chapter 5 Aquatic Oxygen Analysis-- Chapter 6 Direct Calorimetry-- Chapter 7 Measuring Field Metabolic Rates-- Chapter 8 Flowthrough Respirometry: Overview-- Chapter 9 Flowthrough Respirometry: The Equations-- Chapter 10 Flowthrough Respirometry Using Incurrent Flow Measurement-- Chapter 11 Flowthrough Respirometry Using Excurrent Flow Measurement-- Chapter 12 Validating Flowthrough Respirometry-- Chapter 13 Metabolic Data Analysis and Presentation-- Chapter 14 The Varieties Of Gas Analyzers-- Chapter 15 The Varieties Of Flow Meters-- Chapter 16 The Varieties Of Activity Detectors-- Chapter 17 The Varieties Of Scrubbers, Tubing And Tubing Connectors-- Appendix-- Footnotes.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- Measuring metabolic rates is central to important questions in many areas of scientific research. Unfortunately these measurements are anything but straightforward, and numerous pitfalls await the novice and even the experienced investigator. Measuring Metabolic Rates de-mystifies the field, explaining every common variation of metabolic rate measurement, from century-old manometric methods through ingenious syringe-based techniques, direct calorimetry, aquatic respirometry, stable-isotope metabolic measurement and every type of flow-through respirometry. Each variation is described in enough detail to allow it to be applied in practice. Background information on different analyzer and equipment types allows users to choose the best instruments for their application. Respirometry equations - normally a topic of terror and confusion to researchers - are derived and described in enough detail to make their selection and use effortless.Vital topics such as manual and automated baselining, implementing multi-animal systems, and the correct analysis and presentation of metabolic data are covered in enough detail to turn a respirometry neophyte into a hardened metabolic warrior, ready to take on the task of publication in peer-reviewed journals.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- 9780195310610 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 0195310616 (cloth : alk. paper)