Time in quantum mechanics
- J.G. Muga, R. Sala Mayato, Í.L. Egusquiza, eds.
- 2nd ed.
- Berlin ; New York : Springer-Verlag, c2008-
- Physical description
- v. : ill. ; 24 cm.
- Lecture notes in physics 734.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Introduction.- Characteristic Times in Scattering Theory.- The Time-Energy Uncertainty Relation.- Jump Time and Passage Time: the Duration of a Quantum Transition.- Bohm Trajectory Approach to Timing Electrons.- Decoherent Histories for Space-Time Domains.- Quantum Traversal Time, Path Integrals and "Superluminal"Tunnelling.- Quantum Clocks and Stopwatches.-The Local Larmor Clock, Partial Densities of states, and Mesoscopic Physics.- "Standard" Quantum Mechanical Approach to Times of Arrival.- Experimental Issues in Quantum-mechanical Time Measurement.- Microwave Experiments on Tunneling Time.- The Two-State Vector Formalism: an Updated Review.- Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9783540734727 20160528
- Publisher's Summary
- The treatment of time in quantum mechanics is still an important and challenging open question in the foundation of the quantum theory. This book describes the problems, and the attempts and achievements in defining, formalizing and measuring different time quantities in quantum theory, such as the parametric (clock) time, tunneling times, decay times, dwell times, delay times, arrival times or jump times. This multi-authored book, written as an introductory guide for newcomers to the subject, as well as a useful source of information for the expert, covers many of the open questions. After the brief historical overview in the introduction, 12 contributions are devoted to conceptual and theoretical investigations as well as experimental issues in quantum-mechanical time measurements. This novel monograph should attract physicists as well as philosophers of science working in the foundations of quantum physics. For this revised second edition, all chapters have been updated and extended where appropriate.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9783540734727 20160528
- Beginning date
- Lecture notes in physics, 0075-8450 ; 734
- Earlier ed. published 2002 as Vol. m 72, in Lecture notes in physics.
- "... preparing, in addition to this second edition, a second volume with entirely new chapters." -- preface, vol. 1.
- Also available on the World Wide Web.
- Electronic reproduction. Berlin : Springer, 2008. Mode of access: World Wide Web. System requirements: Adobe Acrobat Reader.
- Related Work
- SpringerLINK (Online publications)
Browse related items
Start at call number: