Medical ethics [electronic resource] : a very short introduction
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 129-144) and index.
- 1. Why is medical ethics so exciting? -- 2. Euthanasia -- 3. Allocating heath resources -- 4. People who don't exist: at least not yet -- 5. A tool-box for reasoning -- 6. The inconsistencies of madness -- 7. How modern genetics is testing traditional confidentiality -- 8. Medical research in poor countries -- 9. Ordinary medical practice.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- Issues in medical ethics are rarely out of the media and it is an area of ethics that has particular interest for the general public as well as the medical practitioner. This short and accessible introduction provides an invaluable tool with which to think about the ethical values that lie at the heart of medicine. Tony Hope deals with the thorny moral questions such as euthanasia and the morality of killing, and also explores political questions such as: how should health care resources be distributed fairly? Each chapter in this book considers a different issue: genetics, modern reproductive technologies, resource allocation, mental health, medical research, and discusses controversial questions such as: * Who should have access to reproductive technology? Who should pay? * Is it right to fund expensive drug treatment for individuals? * Should active euthanasia be legalized? * Should treatment for mental illness be imposed on patients without their consent? * Who should have access to information from genetic testing? * Should we require consent for the use of dead bodies or organs in medical research? ABOUT THE SERIES: The Very Short Introductions series from Oxford University Press contains hundreds of titles in almost every subject area. These pocket-sized books are the perfect way to get ahead in a new subject quickly. Our expert authors combine facts, analysis, perspective, new ideas, and enthusiasm to make interesting and challenging topics highly readable.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Medical ethics.
- Publication date
- Tony Hope.
- Very short introduction ; 114
- Title from e-book title screen (viewed October 15, 2007).
- Electronic reproduction. UK : MyiLibrary, 2007 Available via World Wide Web. Access may be limited to MIL affiliated libraries.
- 6610752575 (electronic bk.)
- 0192802828 (Paper)