Students for a Democratic Society : a graphic history
- written by Harvey Pekar ; art by Gary Dumm ; edited by Paul Buhle.
- 1st ed.
- New York : Hill and Wang, 2008.
- Physical description
- viii, 214 p. : chiefly ill. ; 22 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LA229 .P395 2008||Unknown|
- Introduction / by Paul Buhle
- SDS highlights / by Harvey Pekar ; art by Gary Dumm
- White boy narrative / by Mark Naison ; art by Gary Dumm
- My life in SDS / by Penelope Rosemont ; art by Gary Dumm
- "Fill-in" LeBlanc / by Paul LeBlanc and Paul Buhle ; art by Gary Dumm
- It's a long way to Hazard / story and art by Nick Thorkelson
- Cleveland ERAP project / by Alan Wald and Harvey Pekar ; art by Gary Dumm
- Join Chicago / by Harvey Pekar ; art by Summer McClinton
- I ain't marchin' anymore / by John Pietro ; art by Gary Dumm from layouts by John Pietro
- The Heather Tobias Booth story / by Heather Tobias Booth and Paul Buhle ; art by Gary Dumm from layouts by Gene Booth
- Austin stories, part one / by Marianne Wizard, Alice Embree, and Harvey Pekar ; art by Gary Dumm
- Vignettes from New Orleans / by Eric Gordon and Harvey Pekar ; art by Gary Dumm
- More love / by Paul Buhle ; art by Gary Dumm
- My life at stake / by Paul Buhle ; art by Gary Dumm
- Madison strike riot / by Paul Buhle ; art by Gary Dumm
- Remembering 1968 / by F. Perlman and Paul Buhle ; art by Gary Dumm
- My mimeographed career, 1968 / story and art by Josh Brown
- The SDS magazine / by Paul Buhle ; art by Gary Dumm
- Iowa SDSs story / by David Roheim and Harvey Pekar ; art by Gary Dumm
- A children's revolution / story and art by James D. Cennamo
- Turn your chairs around / by Max Elbaum and Harvey Pekar ; art by Gary Dumm
- Austin stories - part two / by Marianne Wizard, Alice Embree and Harvey Pekar ; art by Gary Dumm
- With SDSer Michael Balter at UCLA and in the army / by Michael Balter and Harvey Pekar ; art by Gary Dumm
- Kent State / by Harvey Pekar ; art by Wes Modes
- Weathermen / story and art by Wes Modes
- Saving the archives / by Paul Buhle ; art by Gary Dumm
- Adventures in participatory democracy / by Sandy Lillydahl ; art by Gary Dumm
- SDS revived / by Bruce Rubenstein and Paul Buhle ; art by Ed Piskor
- Gary Dumm the artist.
- Publisher's Summary
- The History of SDS as You've Never Seen It Before In 1962 at a United Auto Workers' camp in Michigan, Students for a Democratic Society held its historic convention and prepared the famous Port Huron Statement, drafted by Tom Hayden. This statement, criticizing the U.S. government's failure to pursue international peace or address domestic inequality, became the organization's manifesto. Its last convention was held in 1969 in Chicago, where, collapsing under the weight of its notoriety and popularity, it shattered into myriad factions. Through brilliant art and they were-there dialogue, famed graphic novelist Harvey Pekar, gifted artist Gary Dumm, and renowned historian Paul Buhle illustrate the tumultuous decade that first defined and then was defined by the men and women who gathered under the SDS banner. "Students for a Democratic Society: A Graphic History" captures the idealism and activism that drove a generation of young Americans to believe that even one person's actions can help transform the world.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780809095391 20160527
- Publication date
- A history of the group Students for a Democratic Society told in graphic form.
- 9780809095391 (hbk. : alk. paper)
- 0809095394 (hbk. : alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: