Pledging allegiance : the politics of patriotism in America's schools
- Joel Westheimer, editor ; foreword by Howard Zinn.
- New York : Teachers College Press, c2007.
- Physical description
- xix, 219 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
- Teaching for social justice series.
Education Library (Cubberley)
LC1091 .P514 2007
- Unknown LC1091 .P514 2007
- Westheimer, Joel.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Once upon a time when patriotism was what you did / Gloria Ladson-Billings. No Black in the Union Jack : the ambivalent patriotism of Black Americans / Charles M. Payne
- Educators in the war on terrorism / Pedro Noguera and Robby Cohen. "Children are the living message we send to a time we will not see" / Delaine Eastin
- The psychology of patriotism / Michael J. Bader. Second fiddle to fear / Denise Walsh
- On patriotism and the Yankees: lessons learned from being a fan / Deborah Meier. Patriotism, nationalism, and our jobs as Americans / James W. Loewen
- Another way to teach politically without P.C. : teaching the debate about patriotism / Gerald Graff. Pledging allegiance / Walter C. Parker
- Patriotism is a bad idea at a dangerous time / Robert Jensen. Patriotism makes kids stupid / Bill Bigelow
- Celebrating America / Diane Ravitch. Teaching patriotism-- with conviction / Chester E. Finn Jr
- Hearts and minds: military recruitment and the high school battlefield / William Ayers. Weapons of fatal seduction : Latinos and the military / Héctor Calderón. A small space of sanity / Studs Terkel
- Is patriotism good for democracy? / Joseph Kahne and Ellen Middaugh. I solemnly swear / Joan Kent Kvitka
- Patriotism and ideological diversity in the classroom / Diana Hess and Louis Ganzler. Toeing the line and the law : first amendment rights in schools / karen emily suurtamm with Edwin C. Darden, Esq.
- "Patriotism, eh?" : the Canadian version / Sharon Anne Cook
- Patriot acts : this isn't the first time / Cecilia O'Leary. Patriotism's secret history / Peter Dreier and Dick Flacks
- Politics and patriotism in education / Joel Westheimer. Poetry and patriotism / Maxine Greene. Patriotism by the numbers / Cindy Sheehan.
- Publisher's Summary
- What does it mean to be "patriotic" in the United States after the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001? And how have the prevailing notions of patriotism - loudly trumpeted in American media - affected education in American schools? In this wide-ranging and spirited book, renowned educational leaders, classroom practitioners, as well political activists answer these questions with insights, opinions, and hard facts. Contributors focus on critical issues related to patriotism and democracy in education including the social studies curriculum, military recruitment in schools, and student dissent. They investigate the ways our schools have changed since 9/11 and examine the efforts of educators who refuse to toe the new "patriotic" line. This timely volume provide a provocative yet grounded exploration of how schools are mediating national patriotic sentiments.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- The teaching for social justice series
- 0807747505 (pbk : alk. paper)
- 9780807747506 (pbk : alk. paper)
- 0807747513 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 9780807747513 (cloth : alk. paper)