The alternative media handbook
- Kate Coyer, Tony Dowmunt and Alan Fountain.
- London ; New York : Routledge, 2007.
- Physical description
- xvi, 352 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
- Media practice.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. -340) and index.
- 'Foreword by James Curran 1. Introduction Part 1: Where alternative media came from 2. 2. Mysteries of the black box unbound: An alternative history of radio 3. Alternative Film, Video and Television 1965-2005 4. The Alternative Press 5. A Brief History: the Web and Interactive Media Part 2: What's happening now 6. Radical Journalism 7. Experimental Forms 8. Access to Broadcasting 9. Mainstream or alternative media? 10. Culture Jamming 11. New(er) Technologies 12. Alternative Media in Development 13. Distribution and Audiences 14. Student Media 15. Media Activism Part 3: Doing it yourself 16. DIY Media-making resources 17. Funding and Finance 18. We are the Network! Resources Bibliography Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780415359665 20160527
- Publisher's Summary
- 'Alternative Media' is the term used to describe non-mainstream media forms that are independently run and community focussed, such as zines, pirate radio, online discussion boards, community run and owned broadcasting companies, and activist publications such as "Red Pepper" and "Corporate Watch". The book outlines the different types of 'alternative media' and offers an overview of global alternative media activity, before moving on to provide information about alternative media production and how to get involved in it, including: What is Alternative Media? Alternative media in practice; and, making media getting involved. This book will primarily appeal to students studying media freedom, alternative media, media globalization and media production as well as anyone wishing to embark on a career in this field.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780415359665 20160527
- Alternative mass media.
- Publication date
- Media practice
- 9780415359665 (hbk. : alk. paper)
- 041535966x (hbk. : alk. paper)
- 9780415359658 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 0415359651 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 041535966X (hb : alk. paper)
Acquired with support from
Browse related items
Start at call number: