Sport, rhetoric, and gender [electronic resource] : historical perspectives and media representations
- edited by Linda K. Fuller.
- New York : Palgrave Macmillan, 2006.
- Physical description
- ix, 274 p. ; 22 cm.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Part I: Sport Language Per Se * Sportswomanship: The Cultural Acceptance of Sport for Women Versus the Accommodation of Cultured Women in Sport - L. Marlene Mawson * Language, Gender, and Sport: A Review of the Research Literature - Jeffrey O. Segrave, Katherine L. McDowell and James G. King * "Throw Like a Girl" Doesn't Mean What It Used To: Research on Gender, Language, and Power - Faye Linda Wachs * Part II: Historical Perspectives * "A Glow of Pleasurable Excitement": Images of the New Athletic Woman in American Popular Culture, 1880-1920 - Nancy G. Rosoff * A Woman in a Man's World: "Annie Laurie, " One of America's First Sportswriters - Mike Sowell * White Sauvage-ry: Revisiting the Collegians and Coeds of Old Siwash College - Jane Stangl * Part III: Print Media Representations * She Got Game, but She Don 't Got Fame - Susan Burris * Strong Enough to Be a Man, But Made a Woman: Discourses of Femininity in Sports Illustrated for Women - Cheryl Cooky * Running a Different Race? The Rhetoric of 'Women's-Only' Content in Runner's World - Marie Hardin and Julie Dodd * Control: Em-powerment and the Fitness Discourse - Jennifer Smith Maguire * Minimizing the Maxim Model?: Interpreting the Sexual Body Rhetoric of Teenage Moms through Physical Education - Treena Orchard, Jennifer Stark, and Joannie Halas * Part IV: Broadcast Media Representations * Television and Aerobic Sport: Empowerment and Patriarchy in Denise Austin's Daily Workouts - Melissa Camacho * We Don't Glow, We Sweat: The Ever Changing Commentary about Women's Athletics - James R. Hallmark * Part V: Visual Media Representations * Game Face: Sports Reporters' Use of Sexualized Language in Coverage of Women's Professional Tennis - Kimberly L. Bissell * The Vamp, the Homebody, and the Upstart: Women, Language, and Baseball Films - Linda K. Fuller * Britney, the Body, and the Blurring of Popular Cultures: A Case Study of Music Videos, Gender, a Transcendent Celebrity, and Health Issues - Catherine Sabiston and Brian Wilson * Part VI: Classic Case Studies * NASCAR's Boy Wonder: Jeff Gordon as Ambivalent Sex Symbol in a Macho Sub-Culture - Scott AGM Crawford * "Hey, I'm the Coach's Wife, Not the Team Mom": The Rhetoric of Little League Mothers' Role Performances - Kim Golombisky * "Man-On": The Culture of Girls' Soccer - Sally Cole Mooney * The Making of the Perfect Sacrifice: An Analysis of Football Coaches' Rhetorical Descriptions of Their Wives - Diana L. Tucker * GirlSpeak: Adolescent Females Talk about Their Athletic Identities - Susan G. Zieff.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780230600751 20160605
- Publisher's Summary
- Interested in the nexus between sport, gender, and language, this book contains twenty-one wide-ranging chapters examining sport vis-a-vis the language surrounding and incorporated by it in the world arena.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780230600751 20160605
- Publication date
- Electronic reproduction. Palo Alto, Calif. : ebrary, 2007. Available via World Wide Web. Access may be limited to ebrary affiliated libraries.
- 1403973288 (alk. paper)