Teaching science to English language learners : building on students' strengths
- Ann S. Rosebery and Beth Warren, editors.
- [Arlington, Va.] : NSTA, National Science Teachers Association, c2008.
- Physical description
- xv, 199 p. : ill. ; 26 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|Q181 .T35375 2008||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Essay : creating a foundation through student conversation / Ann S. Rosebery and Cynthia Ballenger
- A teacher's perspective : science talks / Mary Rizzuto
- Essay : using students' conversational styles / Josiane Hudicourt-Barnes and Cynthia Ballenger
- Essay : encouraging students' imagination / Mark S. Ogonowski
- Essay : using everyday experience to teach science / Beth Warren and Ann S. Rosebery
- A teacher's perspective : using students' experience to understand science / Renote Jean-François
- Essay : what is academic language? / James Paul Gee
- Essay : what is the vocabulary of science? / Catherine Snow
- Case study : vocabulary / Beth Warren
- Essay : what is culture? / Norma González
- Case study : using students' cultural resources in teaching / Cathy Amanti, Norma González, and Luis Moll
- A teacher's perspective : what is culture? / Ana Vaisenstein
- Essay : learning a second language / Ellen Bialystok
- Case study : using two languages to learn science / Cynthia Ballenger
- A teacher's perspective : learning a second language / Ana Vaisenstein
- Essay : programs for teaching English language learners / Fred Genesee and Donna Christian
- A teacher's perspective : programs for teaching English language learners / Mary Rizzuto
- Essay : creating culturally responsive learning communities / Eugene E. García and Okhee Lee
- A teacher's perspective : creating culturally responsive learning communities / Ana Vaisenstein
- Essay : what is equity in science education? / Walter G. Secada
- A teacher's perspective : what is equity in science education? / Mary Rizzuto
- Conclusion : reconceptualizing diversity in the science classroom / Beth Warren and Ann S. Rosebery.
- Publication date
- 9781933531250 (pbk.)
- 1933531258 (pbk.)
Acquired with support from
Browse related items
Start at call number: