The 'woman question' and higher education : perspectives on gender and knowledge production in America
- edited by Ann Mari May ; with a foreword by Alice Kessler-Harris.
- Cheltenham, UK ; Northampton, MA : Edward Elgar, c2008.
- Physical description
- xviii, 181 p. ; 25 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LC1756 .W653 2008||Unknown|
- May, Ann Mari, 1956-
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 156-176) and index.
- Contents:ForewordAlice Kessler-HarrisIntroductionPART I1. The Body in the LibraryHelen Lefkowitz Hororwitz2. Gender, Biology, and the Incontrovertible Logic of ChoiceAnn Mari May3. Gender, Professional Knowledge, and Institutional Power: Women Social Scientists and the Research UniversityMary Ann DzubackPART II4. The Missing Women in Higher Education: A Case Study of Culture CrossingJane Roland Martin5. Women in Science - and ElsewhereVirginia Valian6. Are Smart Men Smarter than Smart Women? The Epistemology of Ignorance, Women, and the Production of KnowledgeCarla FehrPART III7. Re-framing the Discussion: How White Male Supremacy Continues to Obscure the Realities of Gender in Higher EducationElizabeth Higginbotham8. The Faculty Time DivideJerry A. JacobsReferencesIndex.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9781847204011 20160527
- Publisher's Summary
- This uniquely interdisciplinary study offers a provocative look at the 'Woman Question' in relation to higher education at the dawn of the twenty-first century. Leading feminist scholars from a wide variety of perspectives evaluate the role of biology, discrimination and choice in rationalizing women's exclusion from fully participating in the process of knowledge production, as well as examining institutional impediments. Contextualizing arguments against women's inclusion and including contemporary perspectives on gender, this book offers critical insights to understanding the near universal difficulties that women encounter as they seek to participate fully in the process of knowledge production.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781847204011 20160527
- Publication date
- 9781847204011 (hardcover)
- 1847204015 (hardcover)
Acquired with support from
Browse related items
Start at call number: