A history of art in Africa
- Visonà, Monica Blackmun, 1953-
- 2nd ed.
- Upper Saddle River, N.J. : Pearson Prentice Hall, c2008.
- Physical description
- 560 p. : ill. (chiefly col.), col. maps ; 29 cm.
N7380 .H54 2008
- Unknown N7380 .H54 2008
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 544-551) and index.
- Preface Africa, Art, and History: An Introduction 14 PART I. From the Nile to the Niger 1. The Sahara and the Maghreb 2. Lands of the Nile: Egypt, Nubia, and Ethiopia 3. The Central Sudan 4. Mande Worlds and the Upper Niger 5. The Western Sudan PART II. Western Africa 6. West Atlantic Forests 7. Akan Worlds 8. The Yoruba and the Fon 9. The Lower Niger PART III. Central Africa 10. Cross River, Cameroon Grasslands, and Gabon 11. The Western Congo Basin 12. The Eastern Congo Basin PART IV. Eastern and Southern Africa 13. Eastern Africa 14. Southern Africa PART V. The Diaspora 15. African Artists Abroad 16. Art of the African Diaspora Glossary Annotated Bibliography Picture credits Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- This comprehensive survey of African art discusses the art from the perspective of art history, unlike most account that tend to focus on a more anthropological interpretation. A History of Art in Africa shows how African art has developed from beliefs, traditions, and cultural and historical influences. The book challenges current perceptions of African art and presents it as conceptual and intentional in its own right, rather than as intuitive or primal impulses, as it has been previously perceived. The text covers the entire continent of Africa, including Egypt, and incorporates the influences of Islamic and Christian religious artistic traditions as well.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Art, African.
- Publication date
- Monica Blackmun Visonà, Robin Poynor, Herbert M. Cole ; with contributions by Suzanne Preston Blier (introduction) Rowland Abiodun (preface) and Michael D. Harris (chapter 16).
- 9780136128748 (cloth)
- 0136128742 (cloth)
- 9780136128724 (paper)
- 0136128726 (paper)