Moving every child ahead : from NCLB hype to meaningful educational opportunity
- Michael A. Rebell and Jessica R. Wolff ; foreword by Susan H. Fuhrman.
- New York : Teachers College Press, c2008.
- Physical description
- xiv, 194 p. ; 24 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LC213.2 .R43 2008||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 165-183) and index.
- Publisher's Summary
- Here, for the first time, is the essential volume on NCLB. In "Moving Every Child Ahead", Michael Rebell - education law scholar and foremost authority on the educational rights of children who led the Campaign for Fiscal Equity (CFE) in its constitutional challenge to New York's education finance system - and his colleague Jessica Wolff examine the federal No Child Left Behind Act through the lens of educational equity. In compelling and readable fashion, they make specific recommendations for revisions to the law.Acting as a counterbalance to the current unworkable law, this book proposes a more realistic way to achieve NCLB's inspiring vision by ensuring the right to "meaningful educational opportunity" for all students.A "must-read" during the debate about the reauthorization of NCLB, this timely volume: advances a practical and visionary benchmark for measuring and ensuring the quality of public education; recommends ways that NCLB might be reauthorized with more meaningful provisions to serve students in poverty, in and out of schools; tackles specific provisions in NCLB head-on, such as the popular, but impossible, goal of 100 per cent student proficiency by 2014; and, provides a credible alternative vision to ensure that all children will learn in accordance with challenging academic standards.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- 9780807748503 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 0807748501 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 9780807748510 (hardcover : alk. paper)
- 080774851X (hardcover : alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: