Great historians of the modern age : an international dictionary
- Lucian Boia, editor-in-chief ; Ellen Nore, Keith Hitchins, and Georg G. Iggers, associate editors.
- New York : Greenwood Press, c1991.
- Physical description
- 841 p.
- Introduction-- African-- Arab-- Armenian-- Australian-- Austrian-- Baltic Region-- Belgian-- Brazilian-- Bulgarian-- Canadian-- Chinese-- Czechoslovakian-- Danish-- Dutch-- English-- French-- German-- Hungarian-- Indian-- Irish-- Italian-- Japanese-- Korean-- Latin American-- Luzo-Brazilian and Portuguese-- New Zealand-- Norwegian-- Polish-- Romanian-- Southeast Asian-- Soviet-- Spanish-- Swedish-- Swiss-- Turkish-- United States-- Yugoslavian.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780313273285 20160528
- Publisher's Summary
- This book, an international collaboration sponsored by the Commission on the History of Historiography, is devoted to historians of the 19th and 20th centuries. Offering dictionary entries for historians from more than 35 countries, the editors have sought to illustrate specific domains of history and focus on those scholars who were important to particular cultures and histories. The volume begins with an explanatory preface and a detailed introduction to the time period covered. The entries are then arranged by national or geographical areas, and alphabetized within each regional section. As a general rule, the editors have excluded living historians from the dictionary. Cross references are indicated within the text for those individuals who are also the subjects of separate entries, and the editors have provided both an index of historians and a general subject index. English translations of books and articles in non-Western languages are also cited.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780313273285 20160528
- Publication date
- "Sponsored by the Commission on the History of Historiography of the International Committee on the Historical Sciences."
- 0313273286 (lib. bdg. : alk. paper)
- 9780313273285 (lib. bdg. : alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: