Igor Stravinsky--the composer in the recording studio : a comprehensive discography
- compiled by Philip Stuart.
- New York : Greenwood Press, 1991.
- Physical description
- viii, 96 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
- Discographies, 0192-334X ; no. 45
Archive of Recorded Sound
|ML156.5 .S912 S93 1991||In-library use|
- Stuart, Philip.
- Part 1 Introduction: Uncertain Beginnings 1923-27-- The Old World 1928-38-- The New World 1940-50-- Consolidation 1951-57-- One More Time 1957-67. Part 2 Discography. Appendices: The CBS LPs-- Soulima Stravinsky-- The Live Recordings-- The Missing Works.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780313279584 20160528
- Publisher's Summary
- Stuart offers nine discography of the works and recordings of Igor Stravinsky to date as well as a chronicle of the composer's recording career. As the first discography to list all of Stavinsky's recorded compositions, including concert and broadcast performances, both pre- and post-World War II, as well as all LP issues, this volume displays the wide range of Stravinsky's talent. The significance of Robert Craft's contribution to the continued exposure of Stravinsky's works after 1948 is well documented, as are the piano performances recorded by Stravinsky's son. Introductory essay traces Stravinsky's recording history from his early use of the pianola through the advent of more sophisticated musical technology which enabled the composer to become the composer-performer. The discography itself lists 191 studio preformances, catalogs recorded issues and details unpublished recordings. The chronological index of Stravinsky's compositions which follows is cross-referenced to the recordings already cited, thereby showing each recording relative to the date of the work's composition. This extensive listing of recordings, combined with the narrative account of Stravinsky's recording history provides the collector with a valuable updated guide to almost all of the composer's works.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780313279584 20160528
- Publication date
- Includes index.
- 0313279586 (alk. paper)
- 9780313279584 (alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: