One night stand series, 1-1001
- compiled by Harry Mackenzie and Lothar Polomski.
- New York : Greenwood Press, 1991.
- Physical description
- xli, 394 p. : ill. ; 25 cm.
- Discographies ; no. 44.
- Discographies. Armed Forces Radio Service discographies.
At the library
Archive of Recorded Sound
|ML156.4 .P6 M15 1991||In-library use|
- Armed Forces Radio Service - Background-- Regular Series-- Fill Series-- Popular Music Replacement Series-- Unidentified Programmes. Appendices: Location Addresses-- Directory of Bandleaders-- Themes-- Commercial Issues - Country of Origin.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
The One Night Stand series broadcasts from 1943 to 1965 made the United States armed forces radio service the biggest music producer the world has ever known. Played over both military and civilian radio stations in many countries, most armed forces radio service rebroadcasts were sheer entertainment but they kept memories of home alive for American service men and women around the globe. The 30-minute One Night Stand transcriptions included live broadcasts or remotes from all the popular ballrooms and hotels in the United States. Every type of band such as Hawaiian, Latin, novelty, sweet, dance, swing, jazz, large, small, black and white was represented. Found here is the regular series up to 1001 - to round off a mastering week. The Fill Series and the Popular Music Replacement Series, also found here, ran concurrently with the main series. A small number of transcriptions missing from the official libraries have not been included but otherwise compilers Harry Mackenzie and Lothar Polomski have gathered together all information available for this volume. Besides a history of the Armed Forces radio service and the regular, fill, and popular series, the book contains a list of unidentified programs, five separate appendixes and two indices.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Discographies, 0192-334X ; no. 44. Armed Forces Radio Service discographies
- Includes indexes.
- 031327729X (lib. bdg. : alk. paper)
- 9780313277290 (lib. bdg. : alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: