A pan-chromatic view of clusters of galaxies and the large-scale structure
- M. Plionis, O. López-Cruz, D. Hughes (Eds.)
- Dordrecht : Springer, c2008.
- Physical description
- x, 471 p. : ill. (some col.) ; 24 cm.
- Lecture notes in physics 740
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- 1. Gas Dynamics in Clusters of Galaxies. 2. Dynamics of the Hot Intracluster Medium. 3. Dynamics of Galaxies and Cluster of Galaxies. 4. Optical Detection of Clusters of Galaxies. 5. Clusters of Galaxies in the Radio: Relativistic Plasma and ICM/Radio Galaxy Interaction Processes. 6. Metal Content and Production in Clusters of Galaxies. 7. Gravitational Lensing by Clusters of Galaxies. 8. The Sunyaev-Zel'dovich Effect in Cosmology and Cluster Physics. 9. Cosmology with Clusters of Galaxies. 10. Clusters and the Theory of the Cosmic Web. 11. Observations and Morphology of the Cosmic Web.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9781402069406 20160528
- Publisher's Summary
- The study of clusters of galaxies has advanced tremendously in the recent years due to the advent of large or dedicated ground-based telescopes, the increasingly sensitive space observatories and the significant advances in numerical astrophysics and cosmology. The current generations of large spectroscopic and wide-field imaging survey and ongoing multi-wavelength studies, covering a large range of the electromagnetic spectrum from X-rays to the sub-mm and the radio, are making major breakthroughs in our understanding of galaxy aggregation and transformation processes in different environments, on the properties of the tenuous ICM gas, on the starburst activity and on revealing environmental effects on galaxy formation and evolution.The reviews presented in this volume cover a wide range of cluster of galaxies topics such as the physics of the ICM gas, the internal cluster dynamics, the detection of clusters using different observational techniques, the great advances in analytical or numerical modeling of clusters, weak and strong lensing effects, the large scale structure as traced by clusters, the cosmological significance of clusters as well as the formation and evolution of clusters within the new cosmological paradigm. This volume is aimed to researchers and senior graduate students in multi-wavelength astrophysics and cosmology.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781402069406 20160528
- Publication date
- Title Variation
- Panchromatic view of clusters of galaxies and the LSS
- "This book is the selection of invited reviews, presented during the 2005 Guillermo Haro Advanced School (GH2005) on 'A panchromatic view of clusters of galaxies and the LSS', organized by the Instituto Nacional de Astrofísica, Óptica y Electrónica in Tonantzintla, México"--Preface.
- Also available on the World Wide Web.
Browse related items
Start at call number: