Physics and properties of narrow gap semiconductors
- Junhao Chu and Arden Sher.
- New York, N.Y. : Springer, c2008.
- Physical description
- xii, 605 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Introduction. -Narrow Gap Semiconductors. -Modern Physics of Infrared Photo-Electronics. -References. -Crystal. -The Basic Theory of Crystal Growth. -Growth Method for Bulk Crystal. -Liquid Phase Epitaxy. -Molecular Beam Epitaxy Growth of Thin Films. -Perfection of Crystals. -References. -The Band Structure 3.1 A Brief Description of Energy Band Structures 3.2 The Perturbation Method and its Eigen Values 3.3 The Calculation of Band Structures 3.4 Parameters of Energy Bands References Chapter 4 Optical Properties 4.1 Optical Constants and Dielectric Functions 4.2 Interband Optical Transitions: Theory and Experiment 4.3 Intrinsic Absorption Spectrum Expressions 4.4 Direct Measurements of Optical Constants 4.5 Optical Effects of Free Carriers 4.6 Optical Characterization of Materials References Chapter 5 Transport Properties 5.1 Carrier Concentration and the Fermi Level 5.2 Conductivity and Mobility 5.3 Transport Properties in a Magnetic Field 5.4 Mobility Spectrum in Multi-Carrier Systems 5.5 Quantum Effects 5.6 Thermo-Electronic Effects References Chapter 6 Lattice Vibrations 6.1 Phonon Spectra 6.2 Reflectivity Spectra of Phonons 6.3 Transmittance Spectra of Phonons 6.4 Phonon Raman Scattering References.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780387747439 20160528
- Publisher's Summary
- Narrow gap semiconductors obey the general rules of semiconductor science, but often exhibit extreme features within these rules because of those properties that produce their narrow gaps. Consequently these materials provide sensitive tests of theory, and the opportunity for the design of innovative devices. Narrow gap semiconductors are the most important materials for the preparation of advanced modern infrared systems. "Physics and Properties of Narrow Gap Semiconductors" offers clear descriptions of crystal growth, material science, and device physics of these unique materials. Topics covered in this title include energy band structures, optical and transport properties, phonons, impurities and defects, recombination, and surface and interface properties. A thorough treatment of the properties of low-dimensional systems and their relation to infrared applications is given. In addition to covering the technology of photoconductive detectors, photovoltaic detectors, metal-insulator-semiconductor devices, quantum well infrared photodetectors, infrared lasers, and single photon detectors, this book will help readers understand semiconductor physics and related areas of materials science and how they relate to advanced opto-electronic devices.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780387747439 20160528
- Narrow gap semiconductors.
- Publication date
- "Microdevices: physics and fabrication technologies"--Cover.
- 9780387747439 (cloth)
- 0387747435 (cloth)
- 9780287748016 (e-ISBN)
Browse related items
Start at call number: