Global perspectives on gender equality : reversing the gaze
- edited by Naila Kabeer and Agneta Stark ; with Edda Magnus.
- New York : Routledge, 2008.
- Physical description
- xvii, 293 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
- Routledge/UNRISD research in gender and development ; 3.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Foreword by Mary Robinson Acknowledgments 1. Introduction: Reversing the Gaze Naila Kabeer, Edda Magnus and Agneta Stark 2. The Transition to Mass Literacy: Comparative Insights from Sweden and Pakistan Haris Gazdar 3. Gender and the Family in Public Policy: a Comparative view of Argentina and Sweden Elizabeth Jelin 4. Maternalist Politics in Norway and the Islamic Republic of Iran Shahra Razavi 5. Challenging the Male Norm of Employment: Evidence from Sweden, Norway and Hungary Beata Nagy 6. Sexual Politics and Social Policy: Swedish Policy Reviewed Ramya Subramanian 7. Women are Like Boats: Discourse, Policy and Collective Action in Sweden and India Seema Arora-Jonsson 8. Quotas and Interest Representation: South Africa and Sweden in Comparative Perspective Shireen Hassim 9. WhatA's in that Little Book? Gender Statistics and the Nordic Roadmap Toward Evidence-based Policies in Africa Bola Akanji 10. Institutionalising Equality: Putting Gender Issues at the Centre in Mexico and Sweden Francisco Cos- Montiel 11. Don't Disturb the Men -- a Viable Gender Equality Strategy? Agneta Stark 12. Passion, Pragmatism and the Politics of Advocacy: the Nordic Experience through a "Gender and Development" Lens Naila Kabeer Contributors Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780415963497 20160527
- Publisher's Summary
- The Nordic countries have long been seen as pioneers in promoting gender equality. This book brings together scholars from the global South and post-socialist economies to reflect on Nordic approaches to gender equality. The contributors to the book seek to explore from a comparative perspective the vision, values, policies, mechanisms, coalitions of interests and political processes that help to explain Nordic achievements on gender equality. While some contributors explore the Nordic experience through the prism of their own realities, others explore their own realities through the Nordic prism. By cutting across normal geographical boundaries, disciplinary boundaries and the boundaries between theory and policy, this book will be of interest to all readers with an interest in furthering gender equality.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780415963497 20160527
- Publication date
- Routledge/UNRISD research in gender and development ; 3
- 9780415963497 (hbk. : alk. paper)
- 0415963494 (hbk. : alk. paper)
- 9780203938386 (e-book)
- 0203938380 (e-book)
Acquired with support from
Browse related items
Start at call number: