Encyclopedia of gay and lesbian popular culture
- Luca Prono.
- Westport, Conn. : Greenwood Press, 2008.
- Physical description
- xii, 310 p. : ill. ; 27 cm.
- Prono, Luca.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. -300) and index.
- Publisher's Summary
- Gay and lesbian artists, writers, political activists, and sports figures have greatly contributed to all areas of popular culture. Authors such as E. Lynn Harris and Patricia Highsmith write bestselling novels. George Michael and k.d. Lang have been the creative forces behind dozens of hit songs, and the television programs of Ellen DeGeneres, Rosie O'Donnell, and the cast of Queer Eye for the Straight Guy are enjoyed in gay and straight households alike. This encyclopedia identifies the people, films, television shows, literature, and sports figures that have made significant contributions to American popular culture.Sample Articles in this work include: The Advocate; IDS; Edward Albee; Beat Generation; David Bowie; Boy George; La Cage Aux Folles; Camp; Leslie Chung; Disco; Drag; Melissa Etheridge; Tom Ford; Harlem Renaissance; Anne Heche; PeeWee Herman; Independent Cinema; Indigo Girls; Liberace; Philadelphia; Queer As Folk; Lily Tomlin; The Village People; Andy Warhol; Will & Grace; and Tennessee Williams.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- 9780313335990 (hbk. : alk. paper)
- 0313335990 (hbk. : alk. paper)