Battleground : women, gender, and sexuality
- Westport, Conn. : Greenwood Press, 2008.
- Physical description
- 2 v. ; 27 cm.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- v. 1 A-L
- v. 2 M-Z.
- Publisher's Summary
- Whether in the home or in the public arenas of media, work, sports, politics, art or religion, women often become embroiled as subjects in political, social, and cultural debates. People in all areas of the political landscape see women in diverse and conflicting ways, as either "too liberated" or "not liberated enough, " or have opinions on whether and how gender and sexual roles are rooted in either biology or culture. Battleground: Women, Gender, and Sexuality helps readers navigate contemporary issues and debates pertaining to women's lives globally. This work examines how science and culture intertwine to influence how we think about our identities, desires, relationships, and societal roles today.The book comprises lengthy, in-depth discussions of the most timely issues that are debated in today's culture, such as: birth control; comparable worth; disability and gender; the 'glass ceiling'; immigration; plastic surgery, tattooing, and piercing; same-sex marriage; sexual assault and sexual harassment. Each essay provides a balanced overview of these hot-button topics, and a list of works for further reading after each entry serves as a stepping-stone to more in-depth material for students who are writing papers or researching reports.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- edited by Amy Lind and Stephanie Brzuzy.
- Title Variation
- Women and gender
- 9780313340376 (set : alk. paper)
- 0313340374 (set : alk. paper)
- 9780313340383 (vol. 1 : alk. paper)
- 0313340382 (vol. 1 : alk. paper)
- 9780313340390 (vol. 2 : alk. paper)
- 0313340390 (vol. 2 : alk. paper)