Conformal groups in geometry and spin structures
- Pierre Anglès.
- Boston : Birkhäuser, c2008.
- Physical description
- xxvii, 283 p. : ill. ; 25 cm.
- Progress in mathematical physics v. 50.
- Anglès, Pierre.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Foreward by Jaime Keller.-Foreword by Jose Bertin.-Preface.-Overview.-Classic Groups: Clifford Algebras, Projective Quadrics, and Spin Groups.-Real Conformal Spin Structures.-Pseudounitary Conformal Spin Structures.-Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- Conformal groups play a key role in geometry and spin structures. This book provides a self-contained overview of this important area of mathematical physics, beginning with its origins in the works of Cartan and Chevalley and progressing to recent research in spinors and conformal geometry. It focuses initially on the basics of Clifford algebras. It studies the spaces of spinors for some even Clifford algebras. It examines conformal spin geometry, beginning with an elementary study of the conformal group of the Euclidean plane. It treats covering groups of the conformal group of a regular pseudo-Euclidean space, including a section on the complex conformal group. It introduces conformal flat geometry and conformal spinoriality groups, followed by a systematic development of riemannian or pseudo-riemannian manifolds having a conformal spin structure.This book discusses links between classical spin structures and conformal spin structures in the context of conformal connections. It examines pseudo-unitary spin structures and pseudo-unitary conformal spin structures using the Clifford algebra associated with the classical pseudo-unitary space. It provides ample exercises with many hints for solutions. It includes comprehensive bibliography and index. This text is suitable for a course in mathematical physics at the advanced undergraduate and graduate levels. It will also benefit researchers as a reference text.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Progress in mathematical physics ; v. 50
- 0817635122 (cloth)
- 9780817635121 (cloth)
- 0817646434 (e-ISBN)
- 9780817646431 (e-ISBN)
Browse related items
Start at call number: