Icons of R&B and soul : an encyclopedia of the artists who revolutionized rhythm
- Bob Gulla.
- Westport, Conn. : Greenwood Press, 2008.
- Physical description
- 2 v. (xxiv, 527 p.) : ill. ; 27 cm.
- Greenwood icons.
Library has: v.1-
|ML3479 .G85 2008 V.1||Unknown|
|ML3479 .G85 2008 V.2||Unknown|
- Gulla, Bob.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. -509) and index.
- v. 1. Ray Charles ; Little Richard ; Fats Domino ; Ruth Brown ; LaVern Baker ; Sam Cooke ; Jackie Wilson ; Etta James ; Ike and Tina Turner ; The Isley Brothers ; James Brown / by Andy Schwartz ; Curtis Mayfield
- v. 2. Smokey Robinson and the Miracles ; The Temptations ; The Supremes ; Stevie Wonder / by Jesse Jarnow ; Marvin Gaye ; Dusty Springfield ; Aretha Franklin ; Otis Redding ; Sly and the Family Stone ; George Clinton ; Kenny Gamble, Leon Huff, and Thom Bell ; Prince / by Jesse Jarnow.
- Publisher's Summary
- Drawn from a mosaic of influences, including folk, gospel, and blues, R&B is the music that bridged the gap between audiences and helped, at the very height of racism in America, to dismantle racial barriers. Through substantial entries on the chief architects and innovators, "Icons of R&B and Soul" offers a vibrant overview of the music's impact in American culture and how it reflected contemporary society's politics, trends, and social issues. Numerous sidebars highlight regional music scenes from Memphis and New Orleans to San Francisco; iconic locations, such as New York's Apollo Theater; and musical roots, including jazz, gospel, and blues. Also included a list of important print and Web resources, as well as a list of selected recordings.This encyclopedia will help students and interested readers explore the historical and cultural framework of R&B and soul music through the musicians who have come to define the genre.Topics in this book include: Ray Charles; Little Richard; Fats Domino and New Orleans R&B; Ruth Brown; Sam Cooke; Etta James; James Brown; Aretha Franklin; Booker T & the MGs; Otis Redding; Ike and Tina Turner; Curtis Mayfield; Berry Gordy; Stevie Wonder; Marvin Gaye; Smokey Robinson; The Temptations; and, Prince.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780313340444 20160527
- Publication date
- Title Variation
- Icons of R and B and soul
- Greenwood icons
- 9780313340444 (set : alk. paper)
- 0313340447 (set : alk. paper)
- 9780313340451 (vol. 1 : alk. paper)
- 0313340455 (vol. 1 : alk. paper)
- 9780313340468 (vol. 2 : alk. paper)
- 0313340463 (vol. 2 : alk. paper)
Acquired with support from
Browse related items
Start at call number: