Extragalactic astronomy and cosmology : an introduction
- Peter Schneider.
- Uniform Title
- Einführung in die extragalaktische Astronomie und Kosmologie. English
- Berlin ; New York : Springer, c2006.
- Physical description
- xiv, 459 p. : ill. (some col.) ; 25 cm.
Engineering Library (Terman)
|QB857.5 .E96 S3813 2006||Unknown|
- Schneider, P. (Peter), 1958-
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Introduction and Overview.-The Milky Way as a Galaxy.-The World of Galaxies.-Cosmology I: Homogeneous Isotropic World Models.-Active Galactic Nuclei.-Clusters and Groups of Galaxies.-Cosmology II: Inhomogeneities in the Universe.-Cosmology III: The Cosmological Parameters.-The Universe at high redshift.-Outlook.-A: The Electromagnetic Radiation Field.-Properties of Stars.-C: Units and Constants.-D: Recommended Literature.-E: Acronymes used.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9783540331742 20160528
- Publisher's Summary
- Starting with the description of our home galaxy, the Milky Way, this cogently written textbook introduces the reader to the astronomy of galaxies, their structure, active galactic nuclei, evolution and large scale distribution. Then, from the extensive and thorough introduction to modern observational and theoretical cosmology, the text turns to the formation of structures and astronomical objects in the early universe. The basics of classical astronomy and stellar astrophysics needed for extragalactic astronomy are given in the appendix. In particular, Peter Schneider's "Extragalactic Astronomy and Cosmology" has the goal of imparting the fundamental knowledge of this fascinating subfield of astronomy, while leading readers to the forefront of astronomical research. But it seeks to accomplish this not only with extensive textual information and insights. In addition, the author's evident admiration for the workings of the universe that shines through the lines and the many supporting color illustrations will deeply inspire the reader. While this book has grown out of introductory university courses on astronomy and astrophysics, it will not only be appreciated by undergraduate students and lecturers. Through the comprehensive coverage of the field, even graduate students and researchers specializing in related fields will appreciate it as reliable reference.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9783540331742 20160528
- Publication date
- 3540331743 (English edition : hd.bd.)
- 9783540331742 (English edition : hd.bd.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: