The statistical mechanics of financial markets
- Johannes Voit.
- 3rd ed.
- Berlin ; New York : Springer, c2005.
- Physical description
- xv, 378 p. : ill. ; 25 cm.
- Texts and monographs in physics.
Engineering Library (Terman)
|HG176.5 .V64 2005||Unknown|
- Voit, Johannes, 1957-
- "Information sources": p. -363.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. -393) and index.
- Publisher's Summary
- This highly praised introductory treatment describes the parallels between statistical physics and finance - both those established in the 100-year long interaction between these disciplines, as well as new research results on financial markets. The random-walk technique, well known in physics, is also the basic model in finance, upon which are built, for example, the Black-Scholes theory of option pricing and hedging, plus methods of portfolio optimization. Here the underlying assumptions are assessed critically. Using empirical financial data and analogies to physical models such as fluid flows, turbulence, or superdiffusion, the book develops a more accurate description of financial markets based on random walks. With this approach, novel methods for derivative pricing and risk management can be formulated. Computer simulations of interacting-agent models provide insight into the mechanisms underlying unconventional price dynamics. It is shown that stock exchange crashes can be modelled in ways analogous to phase transitions and earthquakes, and sometimes have even been predicted successfully. This third edition of "The Statistical Mechanics of Financial Markets" especially stands apart from other treatments because it offers new chapters containing a practitioner's treatment of two important current topics in banking: the basic notions and tools of risk management and capital requirements for financial institutions, including an overview of the new Basel II capital framework which may well set the risk management standards in scores of countries for years to come.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9783540262855 20160528
- Supplemental links
Table of contents
- Finance > Statistical methods.
- Capital market > Statistical methods.
- Statistical physics.
- Financial engineering.
- Finances > Méthodes statistiques.
- Marché financier > Méthodes statistiques.
- Physique statistique.
- Ingénierie financière.
- Ingénierie financière
- Marché financier
- Méthode statistique
- Physique statistique
- Publication date
- Texts and monographs in physics, 0172-5998
- 3540262857 (alk. paper)
- 9783540262855 (alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: