Don't teach the canaries not to sing : creating a school culture that boosts achievement
- Robert D. Ramsey.
- Thousand Oaks, CA : Corwin Press, c2008.
- Physical description
- xv, 158 p. ; 27 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LC210 .R36 2008||Unknown|
- Ramsey, Robert D.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 153) and index.
- Preface: Why This Title Acknowledgments About the Author Introduction: Culture Shock 1. School Culture Under the Microscope: What It Is, How It Works, and Why It's So Important 2. The Many Phases and Faces of School Personalities 3. Profile of a Healthy School Culture That Works for Everyone 4. How Do You Know It's Time to Tune Your Bagpipes? Signs of a Toxic School Culture 5. Assessing the DNA of Your School's Culture 6. Avoiding "Fratricide" (Death by Friendly Fire) 7. A Dresser of Sycamore Trees: The Leader's Role in Shaping the School's Culture 8. Don't Teach the Canaries Not to Sing: Creating a School Culture That Works for All Students 9. Use All the Gifts (Assets): Creating a School Culture That Works for Staff 10. The Dancing Bear Metaphor: Creating a School Culture That Works for Parents and the Community 11. A Results-Oriented Work Environment (ROWE): Linking Culture and Achievement 12. No Deposit, No Return: Culture Building Made Simple Resource A. FAQs: Frequently Asked Questions Resource B. FSWs: Frequently Stated Worries Resource C. What Others Say About Organizational Culture Resource D. Related Readings: The Short List Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9781412948944 20160528
- Publisher's Summary
- This book is a practical, 'how-to' handbook for creating an organizational school climate that brings out the best in students, staff, parents, and community members. Through concrete, real-world examples, insider insights, and down-to-earth explorations, this text demystifies the phenomenon of a school's culture. Without resorting to lofty jargon, the book clearly defines what school culture is, where it comes from, how it works, and why it is critically important. Best of all, the guide contains all the tools needed to 'grow' a school culture that maximizes student performance, empowers staff members, welcomes and engages parents, and energizes community support. Each chapter is packed with specific information, guidelines, skills, strategies, and techniques needed, as well as warning signs and pitfalls to avoid, to create a school culture that works for everyone. This is a total package, including foundations, structures, processes, and practices for developing an environment that is 'nutritious', challenging, supporting, rewarding, and inspiring for all those involved with the school.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781412948944 20160528
- Publication date
- "A joint publication [with the] National Association of Secondary School Principals."
- 9781412948937 (hbk.)
- 1412948932 (hbk.)
- 9781412948944 (pbk.)
- 1412948940 (pbk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: