Biomaterials science : an introduction to materials in medicine
- edited by Buddy D. Ratner ... [et al.].
- 2nd ed.
- Amsterdam ; Boston : Elsevier Academic Press, c2004.
- Physical description
- xii, 851 p. : ill. ; 29 cm.
Chemistry & ChemEng Library (Swain)
|R857 .M3 B5735 2004||Unknown|
- Ratner, B. D. (Buddy D.), 1947-
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- INTRODUCTION BIOMATERIALS HISTORY PART I: Materials Science & Engineering Properties of Materials Classes of Materials Used in Medicine PART II: Biology, Chemistry and Medicine Background Concepts Host Reactions to Biomaterials and Their Evaluation Testing Biomaterials Degradation of Materials in the Biological Environment Applications of Materials in Medicine, Dentistry and Biology Artifical Organs and Tissues Tissue Engineering PART III: Practical Aspects of Biomaterials Implants & Devices - Special Concerns New Products and Standards Perspectives and Possibilities in Biomaterials Science APPENDICES.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780125824637 20160528
- Publisher's Summary
- The second edition of this bestselling title provides the most up-to-date comprehensive review of all aspects of biomaterials science by providing a balanced, insightful approach to learning biomaterials. This reference integrates a historical perspective of materials engineering principles with biological interactions of biomaterials. Also provided within are regulatory and ethical issues in addition to future directions of the field, and a state-of-the-art update of medical and biotechnological applications. All aspects of biomaterials science are thoroughly addressed, from tissue engineering to cochlear prostheses and drug delivery systems. Over 80 contributors from academia, government and industry detail the principles of cell biology, immunology, and pathology. Focus within pertains to the clinical uses of biomaterials as components in implants, devices, and artificial organs. This reference also touches upon their uses in biotechnology as well as the characterization of the physical, chemical, biochemical and surface properties of these materials. It provides comprehensive coverage of principles and applications of all classes of biomaterials. It integrates concepts of biomaterials science and biological interactions with clinical science and societal issues including law, regulation, and ethics. It discusses successes and failures of biomaterials applications in clinical medicine and the future directions of the field. It covers the broad spectrum of biomaterial compositions including polymers, metals, ceramics, glasses, carbons, natural materials, and composites. It is endorsed by the Society for Biomaterials.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780125824637 20160528
- Supplemental links
Table of contents
- Publication date
- 0125824637 (hardcover : alk. paper)
- 9780125824637 (hardcover : alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: