California grasslands : ecology and management
- edited by Mark R. Stromberg, Jeffrey D. Corbin, Carla M. D'Antonio.
- Berkeley, Calif. : University of California Press, c2007.
- Physical description
- xi, 390 p. : ill., maps ; 29 cm.
At the library
Science Library (Li and Ma)
|QH541.5 .P7 C35 2007||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 323-373) and index.
- 1. Introduction OVERVIEW
- 2. Systematics Of California Grasses (Poaceae)
- 3. Community Classification and Nomenclature HISTORY
- 4. Pleistocene and Pre-European Grassland Ecosystems Late Quaternary Paleoecology of Grasslands and other Grassy Habitats
- 5. Native American Uses and Management of California's Grasslands
- 6. Ecology of Invasive Non-native Species in California Grassland RESOURCES
- 7. Water Relations
- 8. Mechanisms determining patterns of nutrient dynamics
- 9. Soil Biology and Carbon Sequestration in Grasslands
- 10. Resource limitation ECOLOGICAL INTERACTIONS
- 11. Genes on the Range: Population Genetics
- 12. Serpentine Grasslands
- 13. Competitive Interactions
- 14. Dynamics of Woody Species in the California Grassland
- 15. Ecology of Native Animals in California Grasslands
- 16. History and Ecology of Feral Pig Invasions in California Grasslands
- 17. Grazing ecology of California grasslands
- 18. Fire in California Grasslands
- 19. Response to Changing Atmosphere and Climate POLICY AND MANAGEMENT
- 20. Grazing Management on California's Mediterranean Grasslands
- 21. California Grassland Restoration
- 22. Exotic Plant Management in California Annual Grasslands
- 23. Regulatory Protection and Conservation
- 24. Epilogue: Future Directions.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's summary
Grasslands are one of California's most important ecosystems in terms of both biodiversity and economic value. Bringing together the large amount of research conducted in recent years on California's grasslands, this comprehensive, state-of-the-art sourcebook addresses the pressing need to understand this unique habitat. Providing an authoritative summary of current grassland science and management, leading scholars examine the history of grasslands from the Pleistocene through European settlement; describe resources that influence grassland structure and productivity focusing on water, nutrient dynamics, global environmental change, and soil biology; explore genetics, ecological interactions, grazing systems, and fire; and discuss grassland management, restoration, and public policy.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Grasslands > California.
- Grassland ecology > California.
- Grasslands > California > Management.
- Publication date
- 9780520252202 (hbk. : alk. paper)
- 0520252209 (hbk. : alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: