Transport and mixing in geophysical flows
- J.B. Weiss, A. Provenzale (eds.).
- Berlin ; New York : Springer, c2008.
- Physical description
- ix, 261 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
- Lecture notes in physics 744.
- Includes bibliographical references.
- Scalar Decay in Chaotic Mixing.- Transport of Inert and reactive Particles: Lagrangian Statistics in Turbulent Flow.- Diffusion and Reaction-Diffusion in Steady Flows at Large Peclet Numbers.- An Introduction to radiative Tranfer for Geophysicists. Coherent Vortices and Tracer Transport.- Dispersion and Mixing in Quasi-Two-Dimensional Rotating Flows.- Quatntifying, Inhomogeneous, Instantaneous, Irreversible Transport Using Passive Tracer Field as a Coordinate.- Lagrangian Statistics From Oceanic and Atmospheric Observations.- The Modulation of Biological Production by Oceanic Mesoscale Turbulence.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9783540752141 20160528
- Publisher's Summary
- This volume collects a number of theoretical and experimental lectures on various aspects of transport and mixing of active and passive particles in geophysical flows. Transports in fluids can be approached from two complementary perspectives: in the Eulerian view of mixing, the focus is on the concentration field - advection stretches and folds the concentration field and sharpens the gradients, while diffusion smooths the field. In the Langrangian view, fluid parcels are followed around as they move with the flow, experiencing chaotic or stochastic motion. Both pictures are considered in the present lectures, with passive particles carried freely by the flow and reactive particles, where chemically or biologically induced reactions change the character of the particles.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9783540752141 20160528
- Publication date
- Lecture notes in physics, 0075-8450 ; 744
- "Contributions presented during the 2004 Summer Course on 'Transport in Geophysical and Environmental Flows'"--Pref.
- Also available on the World Wide Web.
- 9783540752141 (hbk.)
- 3540752145 (hbk.)
- 9783540752158 (e-book)
- 3540752153 (e-book)
Browse related items
Start at call number: