Nonverbal behavior in interpersonal relations
- Virginia Peck Richmond, James C. McCroskey, and Mark Hickson, III.
- 6th ed.
- Boston, Mass. : Pearson/Allyn and Bacon, c2008.
- Physical description
- 366 p. : ill. ; 23 cm.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 328-349) and index.
- Chapter 1: Communication and Nonverbal Behavior Myths about Nonverbal Communication Nonverbal versus Verbal Messages Intentionality and Nonverbal Communication Culture and Nonverbal Communication Functions of Nonverbal Messages Categories of Nonverbal Messages Glossary of Terminology Chapter 2: Physical Appearance Attractiveness Personal Body Concept Nonverbal messages of body shape and size Appearance and Dress Artifacts and Accessories Glossary of Terminology CHAPTER 3: GESTURE AND MOVEMENT A Theoretical Look at Gesture and Movement Types of Gesture and Movement Deception cues Posture Movement and Communicator Style General Communicator Styles Effects of Body Movements and Gestures Glossary of Terminology CHAPTER 4: FACIAL BEHAVIOR Importance of Facial Expressions Perspectives on Acquisition and Development Facial Management and Expression of Emotion Primary Affect Displays and Communication Variations of Facial Expressions Glossary of Terminology CHAPTER 5: EYE BEHAVIOR Properties and Functions of Eye Behavior Types of Eye Behaviors Eye Behavior and Individual Differences Glossary of Terminology CHAPTER 6: VOCAL BEHAVIOR Categories of Vocal Behavior Vocal Behavior and Turn Interaction Management Effects of Vocal Behavior Glossary of Terminology CHAPTER 7: SPACE AND TERRITORIALITY Phenomenon of Territoriality Personal Space Crowding and Density Glossary of Terminology CHAPTER 8: TOUCH AND COMMUNICATION Life Span Development and Touch Categories of Touch Touch Norms and Communication What Does Touch Communicate? Effects of Touch Deprivation Glossary of Terminology CHAPTER 9: ENVIRONMENT AND PHYSICAL SURROUNDINGS Perceptual Characteristics of Environment Architecture and Environment Spatial Arrangement Other Environmental Factors Importance of Scents Glossary of Terminology CHAPTER 10: TIME Time Orientations Effects of the Use of Time Glossary of Terminology CHAPTER 11: IMMEDIACY AND COMMUNICATION Immediacy Nonverbal Immediacy Outcomes of Immediacy Drawbacks of Immediacy Glossary of Terminology CHAPTER 12: FEMALE-MALE NONVERBAL COMMUNICATION Definition Issues: Sex and Gender Development of Nonverbal Behavior in Females and Males Distinctive and Similar Characteristics: The Dilemma Liking and Courtship of the American Female and Male Advantages of Immediacy Disadvantages of Immediacy The Androgynous Person Glossary of Terminology CHAPTER 13: SUPERVISOR AND EMPLOYEE RELATIONSHIP Distinctive Characteristics Role of Nonverbal Messages Conclusions about Supervisor-Employee Relationships Immediacy in the Workplace Glossary of Terminology CHAPTER 14: TEACHER-STUDENT NONVERBAL RELATIONSHIPS Teacher Roles Role of Nonverbal Communication Outcomes of Teacher Immediacy Glossary of Terminology CHAPTER 15: THE INFLUENCE OF NONVERBAL COMMUNICATION IN THE COURTROOM Legal Settings Non-Jury Pretrial Practice Jury and Non-Jury Trials Nonverbal Communication by Judges The Changing Legal Context Glossary of Terminology CHAPTER 16: INTERCULTURAL RELATIONSHIPS Defining Intercultural Communication Nonverbal Behavior Goals to Seek Glossary of Terminology References and Selected Readings Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- Nonverbal Behavior in Interpersonal Relationsoffers a complete and precise explanation of the principles of nonverbal communication and their application in everyday life. The authors draw from a wide variety of disciplines and upon their vast experience as instructors, consultants, and corporate trainers to offer a unique blend of social scientific and humanistic approaches to the study of nonverbal behavior. This well-researched book offers conclusions about the research in an easy-to-read style. Each chapter includes exercises, activities, self-tests, or questionnaires that help readers explore and understand the actual and potential impact of nonverbal behaviors on communication. The text also helps readers build the skills they will need to become competent nonverbal communicators in today's global community.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Title Variation
- Nonverbal behaviour in interpersonal relations
- 9780205486694 (pbk.)
- 020548669X (pbk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: