Storytime : young children's literary understanding in the classroom
- Lawrence R. Sipe ; foreword by P. David Pearson.
- New York : Teachers College Press, c2008.
- Physical description
- xiv, 305 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
- Language and literacy series (New York, N.Y.)
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LB1576 .S457 2008||Unknown|
- Sipe, Lawrence R.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 261-288) and index.
- Publisher's Summary
- The author draws on his own extensive research in urban classrooms to present a grounded theoretical model of young children's understanding of picture storybooks. Advancing a much broader and deeper theory of literary understanding, the author suggests that children respond in five different ways during picture storybook readalounds; that these responses reveal that children are engaged in five different types of literary meaning-making; and that these five types of meaning-making are instantiations of five foundational aspects of literary understanding.Capturing the liveliness of children's responses, this dynamic volume: describes picture storybooks as sophisticated aesthetic objects worthy of children's literary critical abilities; offers a theory of literary understanding that is relevant to contemporary young children from a wide variety of ethnic, racial, and socio-economic backgrounds; includes a wealth of examples of children's responses and how teachers' scaffolded the children's interpretation of stories; and, examines the significance of young children's literary interpretation, factors that influence literary understanding, and implications for practice and further research.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780807748299 20160528
- This book presents a comprehensive, theoretically grounded model of children's understanding of picture storybooks. It is the first to focus specifically on young children. Relevant to contemporary young children with a wide variety of ethnic, racial, and socioeconomic backgrounds, this dynamic volume includes a wealth of examples of children's responses and how teachers scaffold the children's interpretation of stories.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780807748282 20160528
- Publication date
- Language and literacy series
- 9780807748282 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 0807748285 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 9780807748299 (hbk. : alk. paper)
- 0807748293 (hbk. : alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: