Educating citizens in a multicultural society
- James A. Banks.
- 2nd ed.
- New York, N.Y. : Teachers College Press, c2007.
- Physical description
- xv, 199 p. : ill. ; 23 cm.
- Multicultural education series (New York, N.Y.)
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LC1099.3 .B358 2007||Unknown|
- Banks, James A.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 163-183) and index.
- Reconstructing citizenship education
- Citizenship education in a multicultural society
- Preparing teachers for citizenship education in global times
- Ethnicity, social science research, and education
- Researching race, culture, and difference : epistemological challenges and possibilities
- Multicultural education and curriculum transformation
- Equity pedagogy and multicultural education / with Cherry A. McGee Banks
- Citizenship education and the development of democratic racial attitudes
- Cultural democracy and citizenship education
- Teaching social studies for decision-making and citizen action
- Teaching for social justice, diversity, and citizenship in a global world.
- Publisher's Summary
- In this second edition of "Educating Citizens in a Multicultural Society" - which includes three new chapters - Banks argues that an effective citizenship education helps students to acquire the knowledge, skills, and values needed to function effectively within their cultural communities, nation states, regions, and the global community. It also helps students to acquire cosmopolitan perspectives and values needed to attain equality and social justice for people around the world. In the new chapters, Banks draws heavily upon his recent work which focuses on how students in multicultural nations around the world can be educated in ways that will help them to develop the knowledge, attitudes, and values needed to make decisions and to take action to create a more just and humane world.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Multicultural education series
- 9780807748121 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 0807748129 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 9780807748138 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 0807748137 (cloth : alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: