Encyclopedia of American urban history
- [editor] David Goldfield.
- Thousand Oaks : Sage Publications, c2007.
- Physical description
- 2 v. ; 29 cm.
- Goldfield, David R., 1944-
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- v. 1. A - L
- v. 2. M - Z.
- Publisher's Summary
- SAGE Reference is proud to announce the "Encyclopedia of American Urban History". Edited by one of the leading scholars of urban studies, David Goldfield, this Encyclopedia offers an accurate and authoritative historical approach to the dramatic urban growth experienced in the United States during the 20th century. The United States is now an urban nation, but only officially since the early 20th century. However, long before then their cities played crucial roles in the economic and political development of northern America, as magnets for immigrants from within the continent and from abroad and as centres of culture and innovation. The discipline of urban history is really a phenomenon of post-World War II scholarship.After a generation of pathbreaking scholarship, that has reoriented and enlightened our perception of American city, this two-volumes "Encyclopedia of American Urban History" offer both a summary and an interpretation of the field. With contributions from leading academics in their fields, this authoritative resource offers an interdisciplinary approach by covering topics including: economics; geography; anthropology; politics; and sociology. "The Encyclopedia of American Urban History" is a fundamental reference work which grounds and inspires future research in the field. It is an essential resource for any academic library.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780761928843 20160528
- Supplemental links
Table of contents only
Contributor biographical information
- Metropolitan areas > United States > History > Encyclopedias.
- Cities and towns > United States > Growth > History > Encyclopedias.
- Urbanization > United States > History > Encyclopedias.
- Agglomérations urbaines > États-Unis > Histoire > Encyclopédies.
- Villes > États-Unis > Croissance > Histoire > Encyclopédies.
- Urbanisation > États-Unis > Histoire > Encyclopédies.
- Publication date
- Title Variation
- American urban history
- "A Sage reference publication."
- 0761928847 (set : alk. paper)
- 9780761928843 (set : alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: