The art of discussion-based teaching : opening up conversation in the classroom
- John E. Henning.
- New York : Routledge, 2008.
- Physical description
- 226 p. ; 26 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LB1032 .H45 2008||Unknown|
- Henning, John E.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. -222) and index.
- Introduction Part I Classroom Discourse Moves Chapter 1 Asking Questions Chapter 2 Student Responses Chapter 3 Teacher Follow Up Moves Part II Guiding and Creating Discussions Chapter 4 Guiding Discussions Chapter 5 Creating Discussions Part III Keeping Students Involved Chapter 6 Building a Climate for Discussion Chapter 7 Supporting Cultural and Linguistic Diversity Part IV The "Bowtie" Chapter 8 The Bow Tie Chapter 9 Creating the Framing Discussion Chapter 10 Creating the Conceptual Discussion Chapter 11 Creating the Application Discussion Part V Analyzing Discussions Chapter 12 Collaborating in a Teacher Study Group Further Readings References.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780415956338 20160527
- Publisher's Summary
- "Opening Up the Conversation" leads practicing and preservice K-12 teachers through the process of creating more open, student-centered discourse in their classrooms. Readers are first introduced to types of teacher questions, student responses, and teacher follow-up moves that are associated with both open and closed discourse. Author John Henning then helps readers identify the most likely places for open and closed classroom discourse by examining an entire unit of instruction and by looking closely at three distinct types of discussions - framing, conceptual, and application. Readers are introduced to specific discourse moves, the patterns of discussion, the amount of preparation, and the types of accountability strategies needed to construct each of these discussions. The final chapter of the book shows readers how to videotape and analyze their classroom interactions in a teacher study group.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780415956338 20160527
- Publication date
- 9780415956338 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 0415956331 (pbk. : alk. paper)
Acquired with support from
Browse related items
Start at call number: