A life in classrooms : Philip W. Jackson and the practice of education
- edited by David T. Hansen, Mary Erina Driscoll, René V. Arcilla.
- New York : Teachers College Press, c2007.
- Physical description
- vii, 182 p. ; 23 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
LB1025.3 .L55 2007
- Unknown LB1025.3 .L55 2007
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 163-168) and index.
- Introduction: To watch the water clear / Mary Erina Driscoll, David T. Hansen, and René Arcilla
- The impossible fullness of the empty classroom : a letter of appreciation / Lee S. Shulman
- Images of teaching : cultivating a moral profession / Linda Darling-Hammond
- On seeing the moral in teaching / David T. Hansen
- Philip Jackson and the nuances of imagination / Maxine Greene
- Portrait of a thinker / Robert Boostrom
- Jackson's pedagogy for existential learning / René V. Arcilla
- A Dewey school episode / Thomas James
- The circus animals' desertion : lessons for leaders in the work of Philip W. Jackson / Mary Erina Driscoll
- The generalist educator : making a mark on curriculum studies / Lauren A. Sosniak
- The misunderstood curriculum / Karen Zumwalt
- In search of the extraordinary in the ordinary : Philip Jackson and/on John Dewey / David A. Granger and Craig A. Cunningham
- Epilogue: Finding Phil / Elliot W. Eisner.
- Publisher's Summary
- "A Life in Classrooms" examines the full range of Philip W. Jackson's groundbreaking scholarship and teaching. Its essays are authored by some of the outstanding educational thinkers of our time. They attest to the decisive impact Jackson's work continues to have on our understanding of education, and they exemplify, as does Jackson's own work, how such an understanding may draw nourishment from a variety of disciplinary perspectives.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Title Variation
- Life in classrooms : Philip W. Jackson & the practice of education
- This book is the outcome of a conference in honor of Philip W. Jackson entitled "Images of teaching in the 21st Century." The conference convened in New York City on October 24 and 25, 2003"--P. vii.
- 9780807747766 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 0807747769 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 9780807747773 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 0807747777 (cloth : alk. paper)