Keywords for American cultural studies
- New York : New York University Press, c2007.
- Physical description
- vii, 288 p. ; 23 cm.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 247-282).
- Acknowledgments Keywords An Introduction 1 Abolition Robert Fanuzzi-- 2 Aesthetics Russ Castronovo-- 3 African Kevin Gaines-- 4 America Kirsten Silva Gruesz-- 5 Asian John Kuo Wei Tchen-- 6 Body Eva Cherniavsky-- 7 Border Mary Pat Brady-- 8 Capitalism David F. Ruccio-- 9 Citizenship Lauren Berlant-- 10 City Micaela di Leonardo-- 11 Civilization David S. Shields-- 12 Class Eric Lott-- 13 Colonial David Kazanjian-- 14 Community Miranda Joseph-- 15 Contract Amy Dru Stanley-- 16 Coolie Moon-Ho Jung-- 17 Corporation Christopher Newfield-- 18 Culture George Yudice-- 19 Democracy Fred Moten-- 20 Dialect Shelley Fisher Fishkin-- 21 Diaspora Brent Hayes Edwards-- 22 Disability Kanta Kochhar-Lindgren-- 23 Domestic Rosemary Marangoly George-- 24 Economy Timothy Mitchell-- 25 Empire Shelley Streeby-- 26 Environment Vermonja R. Alston-- 27 Ethnicity Henry Yu-- 28 Exceptionalism Donald E. Pease-- 29 Family Carla L. Peterson-- 30 Gender Judith Halberstam-- 31 Globalization Lisa Lowe-- 32 Identity Carla Kaplan-- 33 Immigration Eithne Luibheid-- 34 Indian Robert Warrior-- 35 Interiority Christopher Castiglia-- 36 Internment Caroline Chung Simpson-- 37 Liberalism Nikhil Pal Singh-- 38 Literature Sandra M. Gustafson-- 39 Market Meredith L. McGill-- 40 Marriage Elizabeth Freeman-- 41 Mestizo/a Curtis Marez-- 42 Modern Chandan Reddy-- 43 Nation Alys Eve Weinbaum-- 44 Naturalization Priscilla Wald-- 45 Orientalism Vijay Prashad-- 46 Performance Susan Manning-- 47 Property Grace Kyungwon Hong-- 48 Public Bruce Robbins-- 49 Queer Siobhan B. Somerville-- 50 Race Roderick A. Ferguson-- 51 Reform Susan M. Ryan-- 52 Region Sandra A. Zagarell-- 53 Religion Janet R. Jakobsen-- 54 Science Laura Briggs-- 55 Secularism Michael Warner-- 56 Sentiment June Howard-- 57 Sex Bruce Burgett-- 58 Slavery Walter Johnson-- 59 Society Glenn Hendler-- 60 South Matthew Pratt Guterl-- 61 State Paul Thomas-- 62 War Susan Jeffords-- 63 West Krista Comer-- 64 White Pamela Perry Works Cited-- About the Contributors.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- According to the Oxford English Dictionary, a 'keyword' is 'a word that is of great importance or significance'. On the web, 'keywords' organize vast quantities of complex information. "Keywords for American Cultural Studies" offers these features and more to its readers, providing indispensable meditations on terms and concepts used in cultural studies, American studies, and beyond. Collaborative in design and execution, "Keywords for American Cultural Studies" collects sixty-four new essays from interdisciplinary scholars, each on a single term such as 'America', 'body', 'ethnicity', and 'religion'. Alongside 'community', 'immigration', 'queer', and many others, these words are the nodal points in many of today's most dynamic and vexed discussions of political and social life, both inside and outside of the academy. Here are essays by scholars working in literary studies and political economy, cultural anthropology and ethnic studies, African American history and performance studies, gender studies and political theory. Some entries are explicitly argumentative, others are more descriptive. Throughout, readers will find clear, challenging, critically engaged thinking and writing. "Keywords for American Cultural Studies" provides an accessible A-to-Z survey of prevailing academic buzzwords, and a flexible tool for carving out new areas of inquiry. It is equally useful for college students who are trying to understand what their teachers are talking about, for general readers who want to know what's new in scholarly research, and for professors who just want to keep up. Contributors include Vermonja R. Alston, Lauren Berlant, Mary Pat Brady, Laura Briggs, Bruce Burgett, Christopher Castiglia, Russ Castronovo, Eva Cherniavsky, Krista Comer, Micaela di Leonardo, Brent Hayes Edwards, Robert Fanuzzi, Rod Ferguson, Shelley Fisher Fishkin, Elizabeth Freeman, Kevin Gaines, Rosemary Marangoly George, Kirsten Silva Gruesz, Sandra M. Gustafson, Matthew Pratt Guterl, Judith Halberstam, Glenn Hendler, Grace Kyungwon Hong, June Howard, Janet R. Jakobsen, Susan Jeffords, Walter Johnson, Miranda Joseph, Moon-Ho Jung, Carla Kaplan, and David Kazanjian. It also includes Kanta Kochhar-Lindgren, Eric Lott, Lisa Lowe, Eithne Luibheid, Susan Manning, Curtis Marez, Meredith L. McGill, Timothy Mitchell, Fred Moten, Christopher Newfield, Donald E. Pease, Pamela Perry, Carla L. Peterson, Vijay Prashad, Chandan Reddy, Bruce Robbins, David F. Ruccio, Susan M. Ryan, David S. Shields, Caroline Chung Simpson, Nikhil Pal Singh, Siobhan B. Somerville, Amy Dru Stanley, Shelley Streeby, John Kuo Wei Tchen, Paul Thomas, Priscilla Wald, Michael Warner, Robert Warrior, Alys Eve Weinbaum, Henry Yu, George Yudice, and Sandra A. Zagarell.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- edited by Bruce Burgett and Glenn Hendler.
- 9780814799475 (alk. paper)
- 0814799477 (alk. paper)
- 9780814799482 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 0814799485 (pbk. : alk. paper)