The Messier objects
- Stephen James O'Meara ; foreword by David H. Levy.
- Cambridge, U.K. ; New York : Cambridge University Press ; Cambridge, Mass. : Sky Pub., 2006, c1998.
- Physical description
- xiv, 306 p. : ill. ; 26 cm.
- Deep-sky companions.
- O'Meara, Stephen James, 1956-
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 303-304).
- Foreword David H. Levy-- 1. Charles Messier and his catalogue David H. Levy-- 2. How to observe the Messier objects-- 3. The making of this book-- 4. The Messier objects by number-- 5. Some thoughts on Charles Messier-- 6. Twenty spectacular non-Messier objects-- Appendix A. Objects Messier could not find-- Appendix B. Messier marathons-- Appendix C. A quick guide to navigating the Coma-Virgo cluster-- Appendix D. Suggested reading-- Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- The 110 galaxies, star clusters and nebulae catalogued by the comet hunter Charles Messier in the late 1700s are still the most widely observed celestial wonders in the heavens. They are the favourite targets of amateur astronomers, with such rich variety and detail that they never cease to fascinate. This book provides new and experienced observers with a fresh perspective on the Messier objects. Stephen James O'Meara has prepared a visual feast for the observer. Using the finest optical telescopes available for amateur work, superior eyepieces and the darkest site on Earth, he describes and sketches the view from the telescope as never before. There are new drawings, improved finder charts, and new astronomical data on each object, including findings from the Hubble Space Telescope. This is truly the Messier Guide for the modern age.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Messier, Charles Catalogue des nébuleuses et des amas d'étoiles.
- Astronomy > Observers' manuals.
- Galaxies > Observers' manuals.
- Stars > Clusters > Observers' manuals.
- Nebulae > Observers' manuals.
- Astronomy > Charts, diagrams, etc.
- Galaxies > Charts, diagrams, etc.
- Stars > Clusters > Charts, diagrams, etc.
- Nebulae > Charts, diagrams, etc.
- Publication date
- Deep-sky companions
- 9780521553322 (Cambridge University Press)
- 0521553326 (Cambridge University Press)
- 9780933346857 (Sky Pub.)
- 0933346859 (Sky Pub.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: