Interpretation, law, and the construction of meaning : collected papers on legal interpretation in theory, adjudication and political practice
- [compiled] by Anne Wagner, Wouter Werner and Deborah Cao.
- Dordrecht, The Netherlands : Springer, c2007.
- Physical description
- xiv, 219 p. ; 24 cm.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 205-219).
- Biographical Notes. Introduction. PART I: LEGAL THEORY.
- 1. Law as Fact, Law as Fiction: A Tripartite Model of Legal Communication-- H. van Schooten.
- 2. Lexical indeterminacy: contextualism and rule-following in common law adjudication-- R. Charnock.
- 3. Topical Jurisprudence: Reconciliation of Law and Rhetoric-- A. Soboleva.
- 4. Legal Speech Acts as Intersubjective Communicative Action-- D. Cao. PART II: JUDICIAL REASONING.
- 5. Who needs fact when you've got narrative? The case of P, C&S vs United Kingdom-- C. Baldwin.
- 6. Taking Facts Seriously-- M. Henket.
- 7. Transforming Ambiguity into Vagueness in legal Interpretation-- M. Azar. PART III: APPLICATION OF LAW IN POLITICAL PRACTICE.
- 8. The Inclusive/Exclusive Nation: Blacks and Indigenous Peoples in the Construction of the Nation in Colombia-- F.S. Benavides Vanegas.
- 9. Global Values And Floating Borders In The Brazilian Amazon-- P. Virtanen.
- 10. Landmarks for Aboriginal Law in Australia-- A.T.M. Schreiner. REFERENCES.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
The study of legal semiotics emphasizes the contingency and fluidity of legal concepts and stresses the existence of overlapping, competing and coexisting legal discourses. New problems, changing power structures and societal norms and new faces of injustice - all these force reconsideration, reformulation and even replacement of established doctrines. This book focuses on the application of law in a wide variety of contexts, including international politics and diplomatic practice.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Supplemental links
- Table of contents only
- Publication date
- Selected papers presented at the 2004 International Roundtable for the Semiotics of Law in Lyon.
- 9781402053191 (hd.bd.)
- 1402053193 (hd.bd.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: