The origins of American photography, 1839-1885 : from daguerreotype to dry-plate
- Keith F. Davis ; with contributions by Jane L. Aspinwall ; director's foreword by Marc F. Wilson.
- Kansas City, Mo. : Hall Family Foundation in association with the Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art ; New Haven : Distributed by Yale University Press., .
- Physical description
- 358 p. : ill. (some col.) ; 31 cm.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Publisher's Summary
- "The Origins of American Photography" chronicles the emergence of a new visual paradigm, from the introduction of the daguerreotype in 1839 through the Civil War and the exploration of the West to the rise of popular photography in the 1880s. Beautifully designed and produced, with over 600 reproductions in tritone and four-colour, this important volume features works by all the leading practitioners of the time and by others who remain unknown. Many of these images are published here for the first time; all are from the acclaimed Hallmark Photographic Collection at the Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art. In a detailed and authoritative text, Keith Davis examines photography's social history and aesthetic development in an era of rapid national growth. He demonstrates how key themes and genres - including the business of daguerreian portraiture, the markets for Civil War images, and the art of Western landscape photography - reflected the concerns and values of 19th-century society. Photographers of this era expressed a new national consciousness while at the same time they helped to shape it. The visual language of a radically new medium was also open to exploration, and they laid the foundation for all of photography's subsequent history. This essential book will be the most definitive study of this period in American photographic history. It will be of interest to all scholars and enthusiasts of the medium, and to anyone interested in the visual history of 19th-century American culture. This book accompanies an exhibition at the Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art, Kansas City, 16 June 2007-January 2008.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780300122862 20160528
- Publication date
- "Published to accompany the exhibition Developing greatness: the origins of American photography, 1839-1885 at The Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art, June 9-December 30, 2007"--T.p. verso.
- "The Hallmark Photographic Collection at the Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art."
- 9780300122862 (hbk.)
- 0300122861 (hbk.)
Acquired with support from
Browse related items
Start at call number: