Interactions between charged particles in a magnetic field : a theoretical approach to ion stopping in magnetized plasmas
- Hrachya Nersisyan, Christian Toepffer, Günter Zwicknagel.
- Berlin ; New York : Springer, c2007.
- Physical description
- xi, 187 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. -181).
- Previous Work, Status and Overview.- Challenges Imposed by the Magnetic Field.- Binary Collision Model (BC), Dielectric Theory (DT).- Classical Trajectory Monte Carlo (CTMC) Simulations.- Particle in Cell (PIC) Simulations.- Binary Collisions.- Lagrangian Formulation.- Force Formulation.- Velocity Transfer in Second-Order Perturbation Theory.- CTMC.- Dielectric Theory.- Vlasov-Poisson, PIC.- Linearized Dynamic Collective Response.- Conformity of DT and BC in the Linear Regime.- Quantum Description.- Applications.- Drag Force on Ions.- Electron Coolers in Storage Rings.- Diffusion Tensor.- Cooling of Antiprotons and Negatively Charged Ions.- Deceleration in Traps.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9783540698531 20160528
- Publisher's Summary
- This monograph focusses on the influence of a strong magnetic field on the interactions between charged particles in a many-body system. Two complementary approaches, the binary collision model and the dielectric theory are investigated in both analytical and numerical frameworks. In the binary collision model, the Coulomb interaction between the test and the target particles is screened because of the polarization of the target. In the continuum dielectric theory one considers the interactions between the test particle and its polarization cloud. In the presence of a strong magnetic field, there exists no suitable parameter of smallness. Linearized and perturbative treatments are not more valid and must be replaced by numerical grid or particle methods. Applications include the electron cooling of ion beams in storage rings and the final deceleration of antiprotons and heavy ion beams in traps.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9783540698531 20160528
- Publication date
- "With 36 figures."
- Also available on the World Wide Web.
- 9783540698531 (hbk.)
- 3540698531 (hbk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: