- edited by Claire Stanford.
- [Bronx, N.Y.] : H.W. Wilson Company, 2007.
- Physical description
- viii, 198 p. ; 26 cm.
- Reference shelf v. 79, no. 5.
- Stanford, Claire.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 183-194) and index.
- I. The slow and silent killer : what causes famine?
- Starved for attention / Susan Sechler
- How the world is getting hungrier each year / Paul Vallely
- From credit to crops / Stijn Claessens and Erik Feijen
- Africa needs democracy as much as debt relief / Steve Karlen
- Why democracies don't have famines / Miren Gutierrez
- Freedom is not enough / Joshua Hammer
- II. Famines in the world today
- Millions in Niger facing food shortages once again / Samuel Loewenberg
- Season of many hungers / The Nation
- Who caused the Malawi famine / Kwesi Owusu and Francis Ng'ambi
- Letter from Zimbabwe / Gabrielle Menezes
- Glimpses of a hermit nation : trading ideals for sustenance / Barbara Demick
- III. Relief efforts : aid versus development
- Fighting world hunger : U.S. food aid policy and the Food for Peace program / Ryan Swanson
- Food sovereignty : ending world hunger in our time / Frederic Mousseau and Anuradha Mittal
- Starving for the cameras / The Economist
- Vast lands, epic journeys, terrible sights / James R. Peipert
- The problem with predicting famine / Miren Gutierrez
- IV. Women and children : greatest victims, greatest hope
- Do-it-yourself famine fight / Kirsten Scharnberg
- Malnutrition is cheating its survivors, and Africa's future / Michael Wines
- Famine in East Africa : littlest victims of drought, poverty / Anna Badkhen
- Hunger stalks Niger / Kirsten Scharnberg
- The opposite of obesity : undernutrition overwhelms the world's children / Carol Potera
- V. Promising solution or risky experiment? : the biotechnology debate
- So shall we reap / Peter Pringle
- Debate grows over biotech food / Justin Gillis
- Genetic engineering is not the answer / Sean McDonagh
- Feed starving masses, not irrational fears / USA Today
- VI. Food stamps and farm subsidies : hunger in America
- Hungry in America / Trudy Lieberman
- America's hunger epidemic / Anna Quindlen
- Cost of hunger calculated at $90 billion / Cheryl Wetzstein
- No longer hungry, just folks of "low food security" / Marie Cocco
- Lawmaker cuts budget to $3 a day / Bella English.
- Publication date
- The reference shelf ; v. 79, no. 5
- Collection of articles repinted from various journals and newspapers.
- 9780824210717 (alk. paper)
- 0824210719 (alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: