Topics and methods in condensed matter theory : from basic quantum mechanics to the frontiers of research
- Michele Cini.
- Berlin ; New York, N.Y. : Springer, c2007.
- Physical description
- xvii, 443 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
- Cini, Michele.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. -437) and index.
- From the contentsBasic Many-Body Quantum Mechanics.- Adiabatic Switching and Time-Ordered Series.- Atomic Shells and Multiplets.- Green?s Functions as Thought Experiments.- Hopping Electron Models: An Appetizer.- Many-Body Effects in Electron Spectroscopies.- Group Representations for Physicists.- Simpler Uses of Group Theory.- Product of Representations.- Equations of Motion.- Feynman Diagrams for Condensed Matter Physics.- Dyson Equation.- Kadanoff-Baym and Keldysh Nonequilibrium Theory.- Selected Recursion Techniques.- Aspects of Nonlinear Optics and Many-Photon Effects.- Selected Exact Results in Many-Body Problems.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9783540707264 20160528
- Publisher's Summary
- This book provides material for courses in theoretical physics for undergraduate and graduate students specializing in condensed matter, including experimentalists who want a thorough theoretical background; the advanced part should be of interest to research workers too. A good first course in quantum mechanics is assumed. Here a variety of many-body phenomena in condensed matter are discussed, with special attention paid to the understanding of strong correlation effects. This requires a variety of theoretical tools (diagram expansions, groups, recursion methods and more). The text, which arose naturally from teaching, is eminently readable and the mathematical treatments are explained in enough detail to be followed easily. Proofs of all the relevant theorems are provided, but the main emphasis is always on the physical meaning or applicability of the results. Many examples are provided for illustration and also serve as worked problems.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9783540707264 20160528
- Condensed matter.
- Publication date
- "With 73 figures and 4 tables".
- 9783540707264 (hbk.)
- 3540707263 (hbk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: