Phase transitions of simple systems
- Boris M. Smirnov, R. Stephen Berry.
- Berlin ; New York : Springer, c2008.
- Physical description
- x, 245 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
- Springer series on atomic, optical, and plasma physics ; 42.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. -242) and index.
- Introduction.- Part I. Thermodynamics of ensembles of classical particles.- Excitation in simple atomic ensembles.- Macroscopic ensembles of interacting particles.- Thermodynamics of dense gases and liquids.- Clusters with a short-range interaction between atoms.- Ensembles of classical particles with repulsion.- Part II. Configurational excitations and aggregate states of ensembles of classical particles.- Configurational excitation for an ensemble of interacting atoms.- Configurational excitation in clusters with pairwise atomic interactions.- Phase transitions in macroscopic systems of atoms.- Melting of clusters and bulk atomic ensembles.- Part III. Dynamics of configurational excitations in ensembles of classical particles.- Coexistence of cluster phases.- Glassy states of simple particle ensembles.- Transport of voids in nucleation processes.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- This monograph develops a unified microscopic basis for phases and phase changes of bulk matter and small systems in terms of classical physics. The origins of such phase changes are derived from simple but physically relevant models of how transitions between rigid crystalline, glassy and fluid states occur, how phase equilibria arise, and how bulk properties evolve from those of small systems.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Springer series in atomic, optical, and plasma physics, 1615-5653 ; 42
Browse related items
Start at call number: